01. the seal from another world

Start from the beginning

              Lilith rubbed her eyes once more and pushed the thin strands of sodden hair behind her ears, clearing her flushed face. She decided to get out of bed and find a way to fall asleep. The few hours she slept wasn't enough to carry out daily life. She felt tired all the time and that wasn't normal, not for her who had been energetic and healthy all her life. She loved going for runs and doing squats; she had a strict and established routine before the horrible change.

              The moment Mom was removed from her life, she really realized how little control she had over herself. She was sorely mistaken in believing that she was ready for independent living without maternal protection when she first set foot in college.

              The silence of the house only aggravated her frustrations. Yes, there couldn't be much noise in a fairly quiet family neighborhood at half past four in the morning; but the girl could feel the traces of change, especially every morning when she had to prepare breakfast. Her mom used to wake her up with the voice of some diva from the 90s or classics from the 60s and 70s... until now she hadn't realized how special it was to share a simple latte with mom. She missed her so much, so much more than she had ever imagined.

              She went into the kitchen with the intention of making herself some tea. Hot drinks, especially herbal teas, made her drowsy. She sat down to wait on one of the stools arranged symmetrically by the extension of the shiny black ceramic countertop, where a radio rested at the end of it. Lilith had tried all the natural shit to be able to fall asleep and none worked, she was about to throw away the valerian bags to change them for pills. Once her tea was ready, Lilith went to the living room.

              Maybe she would find a boring black and white movie or one of those old documentaries that were narrated by a guy with a dull monotonous voice instead of making the content interesting. The girl sat on the frantic red sofa, in front of a television. However, when the screen turned on, an out-of-place white spot protruded from the corner of her eye.

              A perfectly white letter baffled Lilith in the worst way.

              It was sprawled on the floor as if it had always been there, mere inches from the front door. The young woman's face painted true confusion in its most natural state, with slightly open eyes and a constipated frown. She wondered what it was doing there because didn't remember leaving any letter wandering around the shelves or near the furniture that could have fallen; although being honest with herself, lately she had been so absent-minded to forget coffee cups in the strangest places.

              Full of curiosity —but not enough to make her jump— she went to pick it up, and without much drama, the letter was held in her hands.

              On the short way back to the sofa, she inspected for some reference, some stamp or something that proved its origin, but found only two blank faces. Without further ado, she opened it and took out a square piece of paper with the following words:

PRUDENCE, THEY KNOW. I TRIED TO COVER  OUR TRACKS BUT I COULDN'T DO IT IN TIME.

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. I'LL BE IN TOUCH.

                                                                                                                                            THOMAS.

              "What" Her main reaction amusedly questions the authenticity of the apparently humorous letter.