Over a Cup of Coffee

Johnlock//Coffee shop AU

A/N: Please forgive me if I get the price/currency wrong, as I'm American and not familiar with British Currency. Also, bear with me if there are any spelling/grammatical mistakes, I will go back and fix them asap. :) I had originally posted this as its own separate one shot but decided to merge it in here with the rest of them, if you have read this previously.

*Also, note: I do not own any of the characters in this story, all and full credit goes to Arthur Canon Doyle and BBC. Thank you.

-H

------------

It was a fresh start to a new year at academy for John Hamish Watson. The sweltering high temperatures of the summer were now coming to a progressively swift halt, transitioning to brisk fall-like weather. Fall was John's favorite season of the because it allowed him to wear his cozy jumpers that he could cuddle in for warmth. They were his choice of shield against the frigid seasons. Fall was also a time to see his mates again; which was practically his whole school. It took no effort to like John, everyone seemed to enjoy being around him and he was practically friends with everyone he met. That was until the day he was faced with the peculiar challenge of Sherlock Holmes.

**

The crisp bite of the fall wind was enough to make John shiver through his light fabric of his thin jacket as he passed through the scramble of downtown London. His overly-protective mother had insisted that he had taken something more suitable for the chilly weather but he hadn't listened and now was wishing that he had. What he needed, John thought, was a warm cup of something, anything that would help rid of the cold that nipped at his ill-protected body.

With a new determination set in mind, John was able to find a quaint cafe that would satisfy his needs for something warm. The shop was just as oddly charming as it was on the outside as it was on the inside and was mostly empty of customers. John hadn't been to this shop before, or heard the faintest about the place. Still, John wasn't picky and would give the shop a try, taking a few more short steps to the front of the counter. Most of the décor was slightly outdated and the lighting was slightly dim but it was a reasonably clean and warm, welcoming place.

"Welcome to Speedy's Café! What can I get for you, sir?" A cheery voice interrupted John's inspection of the café, his head snapping to the direction of the voice. His eyes landed on a petite teenage girl, John assumed about his age, who had a mousy brown hair and a slightly awkward smile, but seemed genuine.

"Hi, uhm," John trailed off, he hadn't even taken a small glance at the menu, "I suppose I'll have a coffee, biggest size, and to-go. Please."

The girl nodded, scribbling down John's order on a pad of paper. "Will that be all?" She asked politely and waited for his answer.

"Yeah."

"Okay, that'll be 2.51, sir."

John dug his hand into his pocket, pulling out his wallet, and handed her the money with a polite smile and she promised his order would be ready shortly. John thanked her as she scurried off to other work related duties and took a seat at a corner table that could easily seat five. John, seeing most tables were available if more customers decided to stop in, figured it wouldn't bother anyone.

While John waited for his drink, he pulled out his mobile and called his mum. He told her that he had made a quick stop for a drink and yes, he would still be on time for dinner and reassured her he wouldn't get a cold if he waited any longer to get home before it got too chilly, and everything else he needed to say to put her mind at ease.

Shortly after finishing up his conversation with his mom, the girl who had taken his order, Molly - he figured after seeing her nametag - was setting down his steaming hot cup of coffee. The aroma of espresso swarmed John in a delightful, warm way.