Politics

The next morning, I'm frantically pulling on a sleek business suit, shoving pens in a bag, and gathering papers into a manilla folder, when Gia bounces into my room.

"This was left outside for you." I set the folder down to take a sparkly pink gift bag.

I frown, trying to peek through the tissue paper poking out. My birthday is not for a few months. "What is it?" I ask.

She shrugs.

I reach a hand in and pull out midol and some chocolates.

"That's weird." Gia scrunches up her nose.

"Oh, wait there's a note." I pull off the paper stuck to the chocolate.

In neat handwriting, a message is penned in cursive.

Sorry you don't feel well. Hopefully this helps.
- August

"Why'd he send you that?" Gia asks.

"Oh, last night I told him that I was on my period and had cramps. You know, to test him to see how he'd react, for the list of qualities to look for in a boyfriend."

She sighs dreamily. "That's actually really sweet. He passes that test."

I roll my eyes, "yes, he passes one quality in a list of 20."

Gia shrugs. "He's getting there."

"Slowly." I grumble.

She brightens. "Oh! I heard through the grapevine about how the peppers ended up in Gus's meal."

"The restaurant accidentally gave him someone else's food?" I guess. It's my personal theory. The waitress seemed too sweet to do that intentionally.

"No, they checked the security cameras and caught someone in a black hoodie sneaking into the kitchen."

"How suspicious. Did they catch the guy's face?"

"No, it was covered. Security's still looking into it, but this will have a strain on the business."

Oh. Despite Gus's best efforts, the place will still be impacted.

The clock chimes, interrupting us.

"You need to get going! Your mother will kill you if you're not there in time." She hands me a file folder and pushes me out the door. "Make good choices! Don't start wars!"

The door snaps shut in my face. I take a deep breath and start walking, thumbing through the file as I go.

Treaty, treaty, bill.

With my supposed upcoming coronation, assuming Gus and my relationship works out, my mother has required that I join her in meetings regarding proposed laws. Makes sense, but huge yawn fest. Most of the stuff is items that should've been already been added to the law ages ago.

I come across a page that catches my interest. I tug it free to skim over it.

A shuffling behind me interrupts me. I turn, and upon seeing who it is, I smirk.

"Well, well, well. Look who it is. Good morning, Gus."

"August. And good morning to you, too, Elenora." He cocks his head, gauging my reaction. Somehow I restrain myself from smacking him and giving the satisfaction.

Alrighty, pleasantries exchanged. I continue walking then pause at the sound of more shuffling behind me. I turn around. My eyes narrow. "Why are you following me?"

He smiles smugly. "You make it a point to be the most interesting person in the room, I can't help but follow you."

"Yes, well I can't help that other people are boring." I shake my head and keep walking.