Chapter 2

Silvana

**********

It had been a few days since Priest Keasatran gave me this assignment. I was at the Aear Lug docks closest to the Aear Lug shrine, with Queen Enania and my parents being escorted behind me. Queen Enania was in magic damping shackles while my parents followed without question. There was no need to shackle my parents. They followed my whim obediently like a common dog now. Just like the rest of the army and those stupid servants of ours. I had made this journey alone when I was a child and remembered the way there.

I had Queen Enania get on the ship I chose with my parents following obediently. I made the Ilphas Queen sit down while my parents stood mindlessly off into space, their eyes empty and unquestioning. With my magic, the ship took off for the mouth of the river, and into the ocean towards the floating island shrine. The sound of the waves splashing at the sides of the hull dulled out the annoying cries of the seabirds.

I still didn't understand the point of this stupid errand, but if it got me any closer to my destiny, then so be it.

As the ship sailed off, Queen Enania looked at my parents. She was still dressed the same way she was captured. A warrior dress of various shades of maroon with long cuffed sleeves, a dark vest clasped with a charm with the Ilphas royal crest, a belt and tiered tunic drape with bronze embellishments and boots with lighter ankle guards.

Father was staring off into nowhere with his blue eyes, which were hollow and empty under my control. His greying hair and short beard and brown skin added to his old age. His hair used to be as black as Cyran's was in his youth. He was wearing his dark blue tunic and pants with a sea-green cloth belt, a teal blue rhombus shoulder collar with yellow embroidery and the Aear Lug royal crest, and a small embroidered vest over that of the same color, with designs like that of scallop shells.

My mother stood blankly beside him, her blue eyes as dead as Father's. Her dull blue sheer veil was draped over her braided back dark violet hair, a teardrop sapphire over her forehead. The ends of the veil wrapped around to the front of her straight, regal blue, turtleneck halter dress, clamped in the middle with the middle of the veil by a sapphire broach with the Aear Lug house crest. A tarnished gold armlets held deep blue-tan drape sleeves that showed off the dark blue mehndi on her hands, wrists, and forearms, painted in the form of ocean waves.

Queen Enania looked alarmed by the state my parents were in.

"Is that... are those your parents?!" she said, "You are holding your own parents captive? Princess Silvana, please tell me. What has changed you since last we met? You weren't like this when you were younger."

I let out a sigh.

"I do what is necessary for my right as a Royal Princess to ascend the throne as I was raised to do." I replied, "I've placed my parents under the rule of the Darkness to gain control of my Aear Lug gifts and the family throne."

"What would make you side with such Darkness?" asked Queen Enania, horrified.

I let out a disgruntled huff. "I'm surprised you don't remember. When I was a child, I had no connection to the guardian shrine. Guardian Nitthos had not recognized me as an Aear Lug princess to the royal family. Even when it was during the Coming of Age trial at the royal shrine. He denied me then, stating that I could not wield the Aear Lug royal gifts as I wasn't ready."

It was true. All elves had a magical connection with their guardian at birth. However, I never did. I couldn't use even the slightest bit of magic. The Princes would often tease me for it, especially Prince Elluin and the Sul Lanta Princes, Leotari and Lionari. Prince Adresin ignored me like the plague. All because I didn't have magic. I tried being kind and nice like a good little girl, but it did nothing.