Chapter Three

"You are to marry me." His words echoed in my brain but didn't completely register. After several moments of tense silence, I looked from Calivar to Griffon, whose jaw was locked not removing his glare from Calivar until I spoke his name.

"Griffon, is this true?" at the question he shifted his gaze to me stepping away from the table and moving to stand next to me. "It would seem that with house Uneti's inferior intellect this is the best solution they could come up with." his words were rough irritation coating his tone. "You were unable to come up with another option as well my Lord." Victor spat the word lord at Griffon.

My head started to spin, and realization set in that this was likely the only answer the group, sans Griffon, could all agree on. I looked around the room, all of the council elders sat silently not arguing or even commenting on the decision. Mother Uneti rose, pushing back her chair as she spoke gesturing to Calivar to come forward. "Seeing as the culprit is still at large I doubt another bonding celebration would be wise, we might as well get this over with now." She spared me a disapproving glance before continuing. "I had wished a more suitable mate for my son but given the circumstances, she will have to do, I'm sure her womb works as good as any." My temper flared at her insinuation that I would only be of use as a breeding mare. Griffon must have felt my anger through our bond, and he rested a hand on my shoulder "I assure you my sister has received the same education and training as I have, she is a far superior match to any Uneti bride and if you would like this alliance to move forward, I request you hold your tongue." Mother Uneti bristled at his command but wisely didn't respond.

Elder Micah stood, clearing his throat and pulling everyone's attention from mother Uneti's staring match with Griffon. "My Lord, with all due respect it is for the betterment of both houses and the land as a whole that we complete a bond. Your sister is the best and only option as you have been spoken for by duty." That seemed to calm Griffon's rage even slightly, he no doubt realized our lack of options. Elder Micah continued "Mother Uneti is correct, it would be ill-advised to commence with another bonding celebration even if it does go against tradition, we will have to stick to the bare minimum dictated by the gods."

I had never heard of the bonding of court leaders not involving a feast and the druid wine. The typical two-day affair had always been the standard amongst our people as well as the Uneti. Griffon sighed before looking towards elder Micah and the rest of our Council members. "How will we proceed then?" The council member next to Micah stood, I recognized him as Elder Richard, the second highest ranking Council member with only Micah as his superior. "We will need to set the ceremony for dusk, the blood exchange and bonding vows must still happen as the sun disappears. Both parties will still need to partake in drinking the druid wine, otherwise, the vow of trust cannot be complete."

Griffon interrupted Elder Richard then "Our father was poisoned when drinking the druid wine, we can't allow a risk that the same will happen to Alea." Elder Micah shook his head before speaking "I will prepare the wine myself; we will allow them to drink privately ensuring no contamination." Anxiety bloomed at the thought of Calivar and I alone, subjected to the effects of the druid wine. I hadn't completely ruled Calivar out as the assailant in my father's murder, despite his alibi his warning of danger had been too much of a coincidence. With the wine dulling any sense of self-preservation if he decided to end my life after I drank there would be little I could do to stop him. Griffon must have sensed my unease through the bond because he spoke up then.

"We do not yet know who was behind our fathers' murder and until we do, I cannot allow my sister to be alone with a strange man." his tone was severe no doubt imagining the same situation as I was. Elder Micah shook his head again "Even if Lord Calivar was the perpetrator"-he held up his hands when Mother Uneti shot him a sharp glance "The lord will be unable to harm Lady Alea, the marriage bond connects their life forces, he cannot end her life without ending his as well". I took in a sharp breath; I had not been aware of the condition of the bond. That meant we would forever be tied until death. Griffon shook his head" Even still I demand guards be stationed outside her quarters should any hint of foul play be detected."