• It's All You Have •

AN// dedicated to my babe on this site because <3

{ t w o }

ALEXIS' POV

I got to the school early to pick up Madison, so I went in to watch her in the last few minutes of the lesson.

I smiled at the receptionist, Anne, as I passed. Most of the people who work here know me because I'm usually with Lydia when we pick up Maddie. She smiled back and held the phone up to show me she couldn't talk. I nodded and walked to the little classroom.

Lydia decided to send Maddie to a small school not too far from our apartment. Only about 200 kids go here, and there are only 12 in Maddie's class. I guess now that the press may be snooping around it's a good thing because Lydia will probably have to lay low.

I got into the classroom to see another 3 adults already in the room. I walked over to stand by them, standing closest to the woman, and my eyes found Madison sitting near the front.

"Hi, which one is yours?" The woman next to me asked, and I almost laughed.

"I'm picking up my friends daughter." I told her, still thinking of the idea of me with a kid "my name is Alexis."

"That's a pretty name. I'm Becca," she smiled warmly "and this here is my husband Vic."

The man next to her turned around and put his arms around Becca. I felt myself smile.

"It's so lovely to meet you both."

"Oh and this," the man, Vic said, grabbing the man next to him and turning him around "this is Tony."

I swear to hell down below, I felt my heart stop for a few seconds.

That's Tony Perry.

The Tony that I've heard everything about. That's the guy who's little girl I'm picking up right now. Tony Perry- the guy that broke my best friends heart.

*

LYDIA'S POV

I grabbed my phone, and went straight to my contacts, finding the number that phoned me offering me a job.

It would be nice to work somewhere different. Since I've lived here, I've worked in the same record company and gotten nowhere. All I've really done is help a few bands record songs, and it's been pretty boring.

I dialled and it wasn't long before somebody picked up "Hello, Fearless Records. I'm obliged to tell you that this conversation is recorded. Who's speaking?"

Jeez, that must be a mouthful to have to say every time you answer the phone.

"My name is Lydia. A man named Brian called me earlier today and offered me a job." I told him, and the line stayed silent for a few seconds.

"L-Lydia? As in Lydia Starr?" I almost sighed. I get that it's this big surprise and whoopee- I'm not dead, but can we just let it happen in peace. I'm 27 now, I deserve to live my life without having to worry about people following me for the media.

"Yes, that's me." I replied curtly, trying to sound normal.

"Oh wow, everyone thought you were dead. I can't believe you're alive. I'm actually talking to the Lydia Starr!" Really? Who would've guessed that. I took a deep breathe and exhaled. He's just a receptionist, he's probably heard my music or something.

"Could I please speak to Brian?"

"Y-yeah, sure! I'll put him on." I heard shuffling and then a loud "Bryan!" Other words were shouted, and a distinct cheer, and then more shuffling.

"Lydia Starr?" I recognised his voice and almost sighed in relief.

"Hi, you phoned me earlier asking me to take a job?" I almost laughed. He was practically shoving the job down my throat begging on his knees when he phoned me earlier.

"Yes! We'd really love for you to work with us!" See? Very enthusiastic.

"Well I'd like to discuss some terms."

"Anything, Miss Starr." My eyes rolled of their own accord.

"I have a very personal friend who I've worked with for a long time. I'd like her to be hired as my assistant." They don't have to know that she's only a qualified receptionist. They probably won't even do a background check.

In fact, they're probably trying to hire me so badly that I could ask for a 12 year old to be my assistant and they'd accept.

I know one of the reasons they really want me there- publicity. Lydia Starr works with us so you should too, kind of thing.

It's a pretty neat little idea, I'll give them that.

"It's done." I felt a smirk grace my lips, and then a sadistic smile took over. How much can I get if this company wants me so badly?

I know, I know, it's a bad thing to do Lydia. Naughty. But...sometimes in life, you have to appreciate the luxuries. I'm going to call this doing just that.

"I'm still very unsure, I have a lot of offers..." I trialled off, still smiling, but making my voice come out a little confused.

"We'll double your salary! And your assistants'!" In the back of my mind, I was telling myself to try and get more, but the good in me won as I accepted the offer after a bit more thought.

"So when do we start?"

"Monday. If that's okay with you, Miss Starr?"

Anyone would think I was his boss.