Chapter 15 | Holding on to The Past

Three points that Lily couldn't pull through with. There was a minute, forty-seven seconds left on the clock. I wasn't going to take those chances. I wanted to win this game.

    "Coach put me in." I stood and took a seat beside him. We had a plan. It would only work once and it would get us the points we needed in the matter of seconds. It was more like our last resort.

    "It's risky. There's three points, we all agreed it'll only work with two points or less." He picked at his lip.

    "Don't you at least want to try? What are the odds that we don't make it, we'll lose anyways." I tried to reason. The clock was now at one - thirty. "Please."

    He took a fat second before he stood. "Timeout."

Everyone on the court jogged their way towards our bench quickly, as soon as the ref blew his whistle.

    "Alright here's the plan, we're going to play out football." He began. "Lily your off, Angie your in." He pointed at me.

    "But that was only for two points or less." Sam tried to argue with couch.

    "I know what I said, but I believe that-" he pointed at Luce, our strongest three point shooter. "You can get us we're we need to be. A tie is enough for us to go over time, and I know we can get over time. Got it?"

    Immediately we all agreed and coach began to tell us the plan. I would start with the ball. I'd throw it in to Kate, who would dribble towards the middle. All while Sam set a screen for her while I make the cut to distract the zone. Just then will Luce be open and Kate will pass it to here, giving her the odds of 5 seconds to make the three. If she didn't, Liliana was there for rebound and and easy lay-up.

    I nodded at him and ran towards the score keepers. "I'm going in."

    The intensity of me going in and hopefully making this a tie, excited me. If we tie, we'd have eight minutes of over time and with all the pumped up energy we'd easily win.

    I held the ball as I waited for the ref to call it good. As soon as he blew the whistle, I passed the ball in to Kate. She caught it and dribbled down the court in a sprint. Sam set the screen for her and both Kate and I drove in. About four of the other teams players followed us into the key and there was Kate's opportunity, Luce was wide open. This was it. She passed it quickly, this was when it felt intense. I jumped over as I saw the closest man draw towards her. I set a block but she dodged it and as I turned to look, Luce had already shoot the ball.

    I watched as it made its way over my head and towards the hoop. I was confident. I know it was going to go in. I could feel it.

    For a second everything went quiet. All I listen for was the ball. I needed to know where it was going. I turned to look at Luce, he feet were planted just behind the 3 point line.

    Swish. The most amazing sound you could ever hear during an intense ball game. Just then the buzzing sound of the buzzer beam went off and the shouts of the crowd erupted. Although it wasn't game winner, it was the happiest moment of my life. It was the first game Coach Erler had taken my advice.

~

The shoot echoed the forest. I looked up to her and she looks at me. She knew, her face said everything, she was going to die. And we both knew it was to late for either of us to do anything about it.

    Her head jerked back and threw her right off of the man she attacked to save me. Blood splattered out of her head, landing on my face and all around me.

I was shocked, I couldn't move, my muscles didn't comprehend with my mind, telling them to move and get up, do something, but I couldn't.

My eyes stung, tears rolled down my cheeks. My heart tore right out of my chest. I couldn't describe the enormous pain and grief I felt. But it hurt. It hurt more than anything. It hurt more then it hurt me when Emily died, more then when my father slipped out of my reach and was taken by the current. It hurt.

~

*End of Wonderland*

As soon as I opened my eyes, I felt the sweat beads pouring down my skin, tears slipping down my skin and stings on my wrists.

I looked up at Dr. Pam and she began to unbuckle my wrists. She looked nervous, anxious- like she just saw ghost.

She then handed me a towel and a few tissues. I quickly blew my nose and tossed the tissues into the closest trash can.

"You okay Honey?"

"I- I..." My voice came out hoarsely, I flinched at the sound of my own voice. I never felt so... so- I couldn't explain it. I felt remorse, terror, pity, pain, happiness, joy, love, excitement, anger- and every single one of those memories, kept me who I was. I still felt like I could connect to them- but I couldn't.

Not anymore.

I shook my head releasing the tight grin I held on the chair. She nodded before continuing and removing the sticky pads from my temples.

____________________

Sorry I haven't posted, I'm currently moving, but I posted two chapters for the days I missed!