Seventy-Eight: Turncoat

Start from the beginning

"What's it look like?" I stand next to him and see a blue speck moving around on a balcony.

"Think I see a sniper patch on 'em. Could plant one right between his eyes if I wanted." He backs his rifle down. "Sunlight reflecting into my scope, I think I tipped 'im off." We wait around for a few seconds with no warning shots or retaliation. He looks again. "Not the smartest to take him on right now."

"We're not even inside yet," Captain reinforces. "Let's keep moving."

I don't know how we plan on getting inside. Sure, I have my stun glove, but I doubt it's going to have the power necessary to take out an entire fence long enough for us to slip through the wire fencing. It's horizontal, and we could crawl under if we tried, but I don't want to do anything risky like that, because there's the chance I accidentally tap my head and fry my brain like chicken. Despite how great she is, I don't think Captain would be able to un-fry it. The latter of a dead spot sounds more like a plausible situation, but even that is highly unlikely.

A high-pitched, mechanical beep! is in my head. "Stop," I command. The two in front of me stand still, looking back at me. Beep beep! "There's a sentry nearby." I tug on my glove as if it'll be useful. I wouldn't be able to use it like a Sapper because that would require me to get up close and personal.

"One way to find out." Captain picks up a rock and throws it to our left in the beach's direction. Nothing of note happens, only the sound of the rock hitting more rocks before thudding into the sand. She picks up another one, now to our left that's a downward slope with no cover, leading directly to a portion of the fence. Beep beep! Still no gunshots. Shortly after is the whirring associated with it moving. Captain oscillates her head. "No, I hear it, where the hell is it?"

"It's a level two. Not to say that a one is any less dangerous," I report. Beep beep! We might be out of range, or it's still ahead of us by a bit. I'm not sure.

"When in doubt, look up," Spy's voice comes from behind. I turn to face him.

"How did you beach your boat so fast?"

"That is what Pyro and Heavy are doing at the moment."

I grimace at him as he motions above us. Eventually, I tilt my head up, a small platform made from wooden planks is nestled between trees, hidden by the palm leaves. It's dirty and camouflaged in green, but the mechanical whirring is still prominent. Beep beep!

"Plantlife has overgrown, and it is near impossible for it to detect motion like Captain has attempted to trigger," Spy talks as he leisurely moseys over to Sniper, cigarette between his fingers and a hand behind his back. I squint my eyes and move along with him, trying to stay between the two of them. Spy tracks me with his head when I walk in front of him. "How have you been, Madame?"

Sniper keeps us moving along. "Better." I keep it short and simple."What are you doing here?"

"Miss Pauling sent us," he tells.

"To do what?"

"Soldier and Demoman have been missing for several days. She has asked us to come retrieve them."

Captain nods behind Spy when I look past him. That much is true from what I'm understanding. Spy studies Sniper's face. Sniper breaks eye contact with him and turns away, his nose crunched with a frown. He smacks the back of his neck again. No one addresses it before we continue to advance. Sniper speaks. "How'd you and Scout get in last time?"

"The front door," he answers, "but that would not be a good idea." He pushes leaves out of the way to get a look at the building. "Well... Perhaps it might."