Chapter 03 - Present

Free De La Hoya has never been attracted to crowds. His eyes flicks through the crowds, the dancers in front of him. Their pretty powdered faces, heavy silk gowns glittering under the sun. He hated those smiles plastered across their faces. Those red painted lips, stuck in the luminary delusion of happiness. Free knew half of these women didn't find any solace, comfort in this beridden lives they were leading. But people don't have much of a choice sometimes, you let fate guide you towards whatever destination you deserve, not the one you want.

He sighs.

The velveted chairs in the podium are comfortable. He leans back, resting his elbow on the golden arm rest, looking past the crowd towards the citizens in the outskirts of the city plaza, boredly searching through the crowd when she arrives.

He knows this woman. Everyone does. Beside him, Lui — the Prince of the Kingdom Luinor — grumbles something under his breath. Free watches as his father stands, walking towards her with open arms. A king. His mother averts her gaze to the floor, ignoring the ordeal, trying to appear neutral, enjoying even. But Free doesn't miss as her fingers clench around the armrest of her seat.

People always try to hide what they are really feeling.

Free sometimes felt this was the reason why everyone was always unhappy.

His dark eyes scans her lovely figure. She's attractive, there was no question. Though the prince didn't favour her, though he would've rather had his birthday without her presence, he wants to see this woman. This woman whom his father prefers more than her mother. Free tries to convince himself this is not the case. But sometimes, it's hard to ignore it. Especially when he disappears at night and arrives the next day with her scent all over him.

Free knew his mother hated it. And so did he.

"Son," His father calls. A thought crosses his mind to ignore his calls but Free knows it's impossible. This man is his father and the king of the kingdom.

So, he stands and passes his mother to stand beside him. Free catches the sight of the other kings, all of them admiring her grace, her pale smooth skin. It's as if she's royalty herself though she was not better than the entertainers dancing in the lower stage in front of them.

She smiles. Free hates her. "Oh, pleased to meet you, my prince."

Free politely smiles back, keeping his eyes on the despicably cold blue eyes of her. "Likewise."

His father wraps his hand around Free, squeezing his shoulder. Free hates how he's always affectionate despite his questionable actions. Free knows his father is a good man, a kind husband, a loving father. But she, this woman, is his only weakness. Threatening their happy home with sadness and anger. "I hear your son is with you this time, is it true?"

This time, the blonde is caught off guard. He wasn't aware she was married. He eyes her again. Her young face, perfectly smooth and not a crease of age wrinkling her skin. It's hard to believe she's a mother. She looks to the edge of the low stage where the rest of her brothel members stood. "Well, he is here with me."

"Do we get to see his face at least today?"

Free frowns, unable to decipher the meaning behind those words. But she shakes her head, her smile dropping for a second before it blooms on her lips again. "Well, I'm afraid that cannot be done, your highness."

"Ah, well. You have always been so hard on that rule. He's younger than my son, isn't he?"

"He turned sixteen a few months ago."

Valt's age, Free's mind offers. He has many questions about this son he was never aware of. Besides, the woman standing in front of him seemed too young to have a child sixteen years old. He chastises his mind but he cannot stop when the thought comes. Given her line of work, it seems inevitable that she may have conceived at such a young age.