Chapter 3

"Careful guys…we…don't ….watch his head". Words came to Shadow, muddled almost like the time Knuckles had put cotton wool in his ears as a prank. The echidna surely regretted it and promised to never do it again to the ebony hedgehog. "Guys…what..r..going….do?" The gentle voice of Amy flickered Shadow's eyes open but only for a split second as the light assaulted his eyes. 

"Shadow's been down for the past 4 hours after them humans tried to kill all of us. Sonic! I thought we left on good terms. What did we do?" Tails cried out, and a sudden pain struck Shadow's heart. "Tails! Don't cry we will work this out!" The sweet voice of Cream. Wait a minute when did Cream get here, Shadow thought, oh no. Shadow grimaced; he knew where they were and it wasn't where the other mobians thought they were.

"Maybe we can find Chris and ask?"

"Yeah and maybe he has forgotten about us and will hand us over to the local authorities"

"Knuckles stop downgrading everything I'm saying"

"At least I'm being reasonable, Sonic. It's been like 5 years, and that's a lot of growing up in earth years. Our mobians years are totally different to the humans. We can't always play fairytales and hope that some magic flower can cure your best-friend!". "Knucks?" "NO! Let me finish, life's not fair. For whatever reason we were brought here, it obviously isn't good but let me tell you. If we do manage to find Chris and he hurts one hair on Espios head. I will personally tell you 'I told you so' before drowning you in water myself. Got that!! Okay, I'm done". Knuckles crossed his arms against his chest from his position leaning against a nearby tree, he knew that he had struck a nerve in the azure hedgehog but it needed to be said. 

A shift at his feet had the echidna looking down to see Espio waking up from his nap while Charmy offered the Chameleon some water from Espios earlier bottle. With skill Knuckles placed a hand on Espios head and softly ran his knuckle across the soft scales. The reptile let out a small hum that only Knuckles, Vector and Charmy could hear as the Chameleon relaxed further into Knuckle's legs. 

Sonic frowned from his position opposite the small chaotix team, looking over to his left Sonic noticed Shade was still lying asleep in her unconscious fathers arms. Oh buddy, I could really use some snarky advice right now, Sonic thought. The azure hedgehog cleared his throat after giving the group a chance to cool down. "Hey everyone, if we are going to camp out here tonight we need to get a fire started and some food, so I suggest we split into teams so we can cover much more ground. Some of us will have to stay back and keep watch over our exhausted friends. We need food, fire, shelter and…".

"...there's a log cabin not far from here". Sonic felt his heart beat faster in his chest as the rough voice of his rival reached his ears. All attention turned to Shadow who was making his way to his feet despite the etch of pain on his features. Rouge reached over to help steady the hedgehog, which he was grateful for. Shadow shifted Shade so she was lying in his arms comfortably, he felt a metal hand press against his back. He smirked instantly knowing who it was. "You should not be standing in your condition. Shadow." The robotic tone of Omega made the ebony hedgehog smile slightly but it dropped as his vision cleared to see all looking in his direction. 

"How would you know that? We have landed in a strange place, there is no way…." "Shut it!" Amy gasped, not convinced at all. But Shadow was angry and a mystery so not many of them trusted him. "Follow me, if you want shelter, if not you can put up with this dimension's surprises". "Dimension?" Silver questionly thought but opted to follow the grumpy hedgehog. Sonic made sure to stay a step behind the dark hedgehog. Over the few hours, he had become fond of the little hoglet but his mind was going crazy. He felt a connection to the hoglet that he couldn't explain, almost like his forgotten one to Shadow.