Fence

Chapter 6

My alarm went off and I got up without any of my usual melodrama. Too tired. I had stayed up all night playing all the possible consequences of decision to force Eric out of training. I elected to eat breakfast with Four. If I ate with the rookies I would be forced to kill either Will or Christina. Those two don't shut up.

After breakfast I made my way through the halls to the outside exit. I walked past Christina heading to the dorms with a muffin. "How's she doing?"

Chris jerked to a stop. For some reason startled by my question. "She's fine. Just sore."

"No surprise. She's tough. I knew she'd pull through."

Christina nodded and kept walking. She must still be mad at me. I'm still mad at me so I can't blame her.

Tris is the last rookie to get on the train. Peter immediately starts in on her. "Feeling ok there? Or are you a little.....Stiff?" He and his cronies burst out laughing.

I grudgingly gave him props for the pun. As I moved to walk over to them Will started dishing out sarcasm. "We are all awed by your incredible wit."

Christina didn't miss a beat either. "Yeah, are you sure you don't belong with Erudite, Peter? I hear they don't object to sissies."

"Am I going to have to listen to your bickering all the way to the fence?" Four said as he stood in the doorway.

They get quiet. For about five minutes. Then Tris asks Christina, "What do you think is out there? I mean beyond the fence."

"A bunch of farms I guess."

"Yeah, but I mean past the farms. What are we guarding the city from?"

"Monsters." Chris said wiggling her fingers. I rolled my eyes and noticed that Tris was doing the same thing.

"We didn't even have guards near the fence until five years ago." Will said. "Do you remember when Dauntless police used to patrol the factionless sector?"

"Yes." Tris said.

We still do. We've just cut back so we can patrol the fence. Oddly enough two of my favorite positions. The fence is easy. Nothing unusual happens so you mainly idly chat while walking along the perimeter. The factionless zone is where we go back to the standards of police you see in all the old movies and shows. Patrolling around and protecting and helping the people in the city. Well, that's what we're meant to do. I'm one of the few who actual help the factionless deal with the hand they've been dealt. Most of the patrol just let them kill each other.

I tuned back into the conversation to hear Christina making fun of Will for memorizing maps of the city.

The train rolled to a stop. I jumped off anyway. More fun. Four followed and once all the rookies were out we headed for the gate.

Four kept a running commentary. "If you don't rank in the top five at the end of initiation, you will probably end up here. Once you are a fence guard, there is some potential for advancement, but not much. You may be able to go on patrols beyond Amity's farms, but-"

"Patrols for what purpose?" Will. But I probably didn't need to tell you that.

Four shrugged. "I suppose you'll discover that if you find yourself among them. As I was saying. For the most part those who guard the fence when they are young continue to guard the fence. If it comforts you, some of them insist that it isn't as bad as it seems." He says the last part looking at me.

They noticed. "That's right guys. One of my many jobs is here. I usually work fence after training is over. My way to unwind. It's calm, chill, but winter is a bitch."

"What rank were you guys?" Peter asked.

"We were both first." Four answered.

"And you chose to do this?" Peter asked with wide eyes. "Why didn't you get a government job?"

"If you weren't paying attention to my last speech, I'm a jack of all trades. I do a lot of things. Training was my main choice because I want to make sure the rookies that make full Dauntless will help make Dauntless even better than it was before. And as for government work, I hate politics."

Four kept his answer short and sweet. Well not really sweet. "I didn't want one."

We continued to the gate telling them about the different jobs they could hope to attain. We reached the gate in time to see it being opened to let some Amity supply trucks in.

Four and I started talking to the guards. During the conversation I noticed Tris talking to one of the Amity boys. She looked like she had no clue what to do and to get away as soon as possible. I nudged my brother and nodded toward the two of them. He tensed but said nothing. When the truck was ready to roll out he excused himself and went to talk to Tris.

They were still talking when I saw the train in the distance. "Let's go guys. I'm starving."