CHAPTER 19 - Of a Ledger

Start from the beginning

It had been just three months since the war had ended... since the evil had been whisked off the face of earth and Eleni was now free... yet she did not feel free. Before she was a normal girl, a Vacant of the Spring Realm and now she was a sister to the King of the Summer Realm, daughter to the Chief of the Eclipses... a link between the warring Realms and an abomination to the masses. But she had a place to live, and that was all that mattered.

Just then, a knock rang against the door. Eleni peeked from the balcony. She heard Amelia sigh, flop her book down, her footsteps thumped on the floorboard as she made way to the door. The crossbar of the door scraped, Amelia's Air magic wafted around as she released the secure enchantments on the door.

"I brought you another book," said Doran.

"You may enter," Amelia's grin was audible as she moved aside.

Stepping inside, he pulled the book out of her reach. "You know the deal, darling?"

Amelia smirked. "You can relax. I won't tell Ralph that you come here. I mean, I won't tell him unless he asks, but if he asks then I won't lie."

"You spent one day with him and turned against me, you little traitor." Doran handed her the book, his smile effectively turning into a frown.

Amelia grinned sardonically, while Eleni rolled her eyes almost like a ritual.

"Not that anyone is going to need me, but if you do, I shall be stoking the fire in the next room," Amelia's voice called from the seating room, followed by the slamming of the door.

"What is with her and slamming the doors?" Eleni made a face as Doran leisurely crossed the carpeted floor and stepped inside the balcony. 

He shrugged, and touched a pink primrose. "Curious question, why is an Earth Elemental gardening in the most magicless fashion?"

Eleni swatted his hand away, before he could pluck the flower. "This is how I did it before, can't seem to shake it off."

"Being a Vacant was no fun, huh?"

"Well... being too powerful is no fun either."

"See now that is why I recommend having just one element. Nothing more, nothing less."

Eleni laughed, despite herself.

Doran turned her around to face him. "Listen, I came to ask whether you'd be interested to come with me for a small meeting. No compulsion, as such, but I'd like your assistance."

Her eyes widened. "No, I shouldn't be seen getting chummy with the royals. There will be Ministers... I don't want to..."

"It's informal and even if it weren't, you are always free to be in attendance," he shrugged.

"No. I mean, my being related to Ralph, had him lose his crown. I cannot be the reason for any more of such upheavals. Not to Una, who is already at risk letting me live here in her palace. And not you, too. The people are irrational when it comes to me."

"Hey," Doran held her chin between a forefinger and thumb, making her look at him, "You won't hear me complain. I say, to Hell with the crown. Let's go live in a whole another Realm, just you and me—"

The next instant he had stopped speaking and Eleni slumped down against him...

That is what her parents had done, lived in hiding after she was born. A Summer royal and an Autumn warrior.

They stood in awkward silence, his hold on her loosening just a little as he swept a hand through his brown hair. Eleni swallowed at her dry throat, and turned in his arms to face him.