"so i need you to tell me the truth about something." "about what?" victoria asked, "did you really want me and nancy to get back together?" steve asked. the girl in front of him stood motionless as she looked up at him. she didn't know how to answer.

victoria knew there was no one stopping her from telling steve the truth but then she thought of nancy, of how she would feel betrayed if victoria actually kissed steve. "tori?" steve spoke, breaking the girl from her thoughts.

"no." the girl blurted out before she could think more into it. "no, i don't want you to get back together with nancy." steve tried hard to hide his growing smile. taking one more step closer, "is there someone else you want me to be with?" he asked.

was this her chance? victoria thought, was this the only chance she would get to tell steve her true feelings "yes." she said. "who?" steve asked immediately after. victoria felt herself freeze, say it, tell him, she kept shouting in her head.

steve now chest to chest with the girl, lifted his hand up to her face, victoria's breath hitched as she felt steve rest his hand right under her ear. "who? victoria."

"me." she replied, there, it was out there now, no way she can't take it back now. and the moments of silence that followed scared the girl more than she cared to admit. in an attempt to save herself from any more embarrassment, victoria began to speak, trying to come up with an excuse to leave the situation.

but before she could, steve pulled the girl forwards by the hand, rested over her cheek, and planted his lips on hers. victoria felt as if she was in shock, steve let the bat go from his hand, letting it clatter onto the floor he placed his hand on victoria's hip and pulled her impossibly closer. on instinct victoria herself, placed her hands on steve's face as she returned the kiss best she could.

steve knew victoria was inexperienced. and so held himself back, he went slow and took control of the kiss. victoria felt euphoric in that moment, steve pushed through the barrier of her lips into her mouth as he thoroughly explored each other's mouth.

as steve let his tongue slip into victoria's mouth, the girl let out a noise that startled both of them enough to part from each other. victoria, with her hands still on steve's shoulders, they stared at each other. not knowing what to say.

"that was..." before steve could continue a shout from dustin came, calling them both inside. picking up his bat, steve and victoria ran inside the house to see hopper at the table, "i think he's talking, just not with words." hopper said as he wrote down morse code on a piece of cardboard, "what's that?" steve asked as he looked at the dots and dashes in front of him.

"morse code." victoria and the boys replied. the message spelled h-e-r-e. "will's still in there, he's talking to us." hopper said. victoria sighed, "okay, you guys go try to talk to will, hop, take a walkie and keep signaling i'll be here and decode the message."

agreeing on that plan the team sat down trying to decode whatever message came from the other side, as each letter came through victoria wrote it down. 'close gate' was the final message, as soon as victoria wrote down the last letter the byers' house phone rang, the ring seeming deafening to the otherwise quiet room.

dustin ran towards the phone, slamming the receiver back to silence it. not two seconds later it rang again, but this time, nancy simply ripped the phone from it's place on the wall and threw it onto the ground.

"do you think he heard that?" max asked, "it's just a phone, could be anywhere right?" steve said, trying to reassure the group. growling voices and chitters were heard from outside, "that's not good."

the others came rushing back inside, victoria let her powers flow as she neared the door, hopper came in with two guns, handing one to nancy as they both trained them towards the door, steve instinctively reached out to push victoria behind him, "steve." victoria spoke, knowing how in that moment her powers had a better shot at saving them.