Chapter 13

Five years. That's how long Karan was fighting his own mind. It was accompanied by several therapy sessions with Dr. Adams where the only answer that he could find was that there was no answer. He was a lone heart and could not rely on anyone easily. He had many enemies, some who were right by his side, slowly waiting for him to fail.

It was only when that he met Hayley that he was able to think of life being different. He had started to live for himself again. 

Painting had always been his way of escaping the cruelties of the corporate world, and even that hobby was revived only because of his queer fascination towards drawing the woman from his dreams. He simply had to know her.

And now that he knew her, he had to let her go.

It wasn't easy agreeing to what Hayley wanted regarding what to do about who they were. She was right in a way too. They could not risk their present lives by pursuing the literal fantasy in their minds. The real world would be much more difficult to handle.

Then why had Karan stayed up all night painting? Why had he wanted her to be a part of this little piece of bliss that he had created?

He sighed as he fell on to the couch, listening to the slow pitter patter outside. If only his life was as easy as falling rain. Maybe he shouldn't have sent her the painting. He wouldn't want her to face any duvidha. Both of them had separate lives to read and the bit of companionship they had shared came to an end. It was for them to realise they needed someone in their lives, that someone not necessarily being each other.

But why couldn't it be each other? What was it with the cosmos that didn't want the two of them to be together?

Karan shook his head as he walked into the kitchen that he almost never used and poured himself a glass of water as the instrumental version of 'Main Duniya Bhula Doonga' played in the background. Music was keeping him sane through this. He would only need to keep it on a loop so that he was never alone with his thoughts.

Something wasn't sitting right with him. There was an uncertainty that was bothering him. The front door was calling to him in a way he had never felt before. He quickly sprinted towards and opened it, finding the one person he had been looking forward to meet.

"Hi." 

Hayley's hair was wet with rain and her jacket was clinging onto her, but it didn't seem to bother her. She was just about to knock or ring the bell but Karan had found her. Just as he had promised.

"Hi."

Hayley took a step forward and pulled Karan into a kiss, startling him at first. This was certainly not what he had been expecting but he cupped her face with one hand and kissed her back. His other hand was at her back as she wrapped both her hands around his neck. She tasted of sweet rain drops and he never wanted to let her go. 

"You were right," said Hayley as she broke the kiss but still holding him close. "We've been through a lot. Together. I was only worried because....I didn't want to lose you. I never want to lose you! I won't let you go this time."

Karan sighed happily as he pulled Hayley into a hug. She sobbed silently into his shoulder as he soothed her hair. "Thank you."

"It was you. It will always be you."

Karan kissed the top of her head. "I have something to show you. I was supposed to send it with the painting."

"Why didn't you?"

"Well, I was being a gentleman by not intruding."

Hayley smiled and playfully hit his harm.

Karan cupped her face again. "Your smile is the reason I'm happy today, Hayley. Never stop smiling."

Hayley sniffed. "Give me a towel before I catch a cold and start sneezing. Let's go see what it is you have for me."