04 | the key to locked away feelings

0004. CHAPTER FOUR
— the key to locked away feelings

THE APARTMENT HADN'T CHANGED MUCH OVER THE YEARS SINCE AUGUSTINE FINLEY WAS LAST IN IT

THE APARTMENT HADN'T CHANGED MUCH OVER THE YEARS SINCE AUGUSTINE FINLEY WAS LAST IN IT. She could tell a woman was living there as well, it had the elements that only a woman brought into an apartment (or at least, something that Hank Hall would never be caught dead buying from a store to decorate an apartment). Speaking of Hank, she smiled a little as the man walked into the kitchen to greet her. He didn't say anything at first, just strode over to stand in front of her. Placing a hand down on her shoulder (practically covering the entire shoulder, she questioned how it could be normal for a typical human being to be as big as he was). Augustine felt as though she had stepped back in time by being in the apartment, but she knew better than that. Hank had aged, as had Dawn and even Dick. Though, when she thought about it, Augustine was sure she had aged as well. Over a year of residency was sure to do her in, she ran on caffeine and caffeine alone.

Dick stayed silent after Augustine's question, everyone in the room knew the answer. Even Rachel, who had been in Dick's life for maybe a week, could figure it out just by the tension. Besides, when in doubt always blame the man who has a guilty look on his face and continues to stare at the ground as if he were in trouble. Augustine moved out of Hank's grip, giving him a side hug as she smiled again at Dawn. The other blonde ran quickly up to the girl, pulling her into her arms, "It's been too long."

Augustine laughed, tipping her head back, "It has."

Dawn pulled away, hands resting on Augustine's upper arms, "How have you been? It's been a few months since we last talked, are you and Roy still together?"

"Oh come on, you knew that she was with Roy?" Dick threw his head back as the complaint left his lips. Augustine was quick to turn her head around, glaring at him.

"It wasn't a secret, Dick," Augustine snapped back. "If you had called me, literally ever, you would have known."

"You could have called me," Dick grumbled, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I tried multiple times. You either never answered or called back days later," The blonde countered, her arms covering her chest now too. "I gave up trying on keeping our friendship alive when you did that. What was the fucking point of putting all of my energy into keeping you as a part of my life, when you so clearly never wanted me to be a part of yours?"

"I never said that," Dick shook his head.

"Actions speak louder than words."

"Yeah, well, you're wrong. I never wanted you to not be a part of my life," Dick bit at the inside of his cheek. "You're my best friend, one of the only people who's known me since I was just a kid. There's never been a day in my life where I thought you wouldn't be in it."

"Yet, I haven't been a part of your life for years now."

Dick went to speak again, stopping himself when Rachel walked up next to him, "We'll talk about this later."