03 | long time, no see

0003. CHAPTER THREE
— long time, no see

SOME PEOPLE THRIVE IN SITUATIONS THAT CREATE CHAOS, OTHERS SEEM TO SINK THE MINUTE THEY'RE PUT INTO THEM

SOME PEOPLE THRIVE IN SITUATIONS THAT CREATE CHAOS, OTHERS SEEM TO SINK THE MINUTE THEY'RE PUT INTO THEM. Augustine Finley had always been good at managing chaos. She had to be. Between being one of the most prominent socialites in all of Gotham (a heavy burden to carry at such a young age) and having the weight of another person's life, their entire future, in her hands; it was safe to say that Augustine Finley and chaos were synonymous with one another. She was so effortlessly capable of surviving in the chaos that it made others survive as well — at least, that was the case for Dick Grayson. One would think that growing up in a circus made chaos easier to handle, something he was used to. And while it was something he was used to, he never got good at handling it. Not until he had Augustine Finley by his side. Holding his hand, giving him tips and reminders to do something a little different. She was the guiding hand he needed for being thrust into the world she had been molded to fit from birth.

Chaos lived within her, meanwhile, it merely existed in the world around him.

The two were different, so very different. Yet, it was what made them work. What made them click. Because of the things they had in common, they were the things that mattered most. They could stay up for hours just talking to each other about the things going on around them. Or, sometimes, stay up for hours while Augustine taught Dick how to do a certain type of dance. Her personal favorite was the Waltz, she thought fondly of the memories when the two first learned how to dance the Waltz with each other. How his feet would step on hers, the way his hand tentatively went to rest on her waist, the shakiness of the hand that held her own. It was something that made her heart soar with happiness, thinking of him like that. When they were younger, more carefree.

When they had less that weighed them down. Because now, Dick Grayson and Augustine Finley were two entirely different people.

People who had changed over just a few years, people who would never be able to go back to what they once were. Hell, as Augustine sat behind the wheel, she questioned why she was even helping him. Why was she spending her time, her vacation days, trying to help someone who hasn't spoken to her in far too long? Fingers tapping on the steering wheel, she looked out at the long expanse of highway in front of her. It was barren, desolate even, something even she was surprised about. No traffic whatsoever, it just meant she would be getting there on time. Which wasn't a problem with her, the faster she got there, the more time she had to help Dick figure out whatever mystery he was trying to solve this time. Or, at the very least, it gave her more time to try and hurry up the process of whatever plan he had already been creating. She knew him better than she knew herself, she knew his calling was a last-ditch effort. A cry for help. All because he had no idea of what to do, at least, he had no idea what to do at that point. She also knew he would have come up with something in two days — he had always been quick on his feet like that.