Chapter Forty-Five: I Shed Like a Dog

Start from the beginning

I take a deep breath and shut my eyes.

I can do this

My better days are coming

_______

I am thrown in the air by Abby and my first thought is that I definitely should not have gone for a morning run. I feel so lightheaded I almost pass out twice, and this is just the warmup.

I couldn't be so out of it during the game. Warner's dad might be here, and I needed a plan to take him down. Warner said he was working on it but he didn't tell me much.

"Juliet, you look way too pale. Did you eat breakfast?" Abby frowns at me and I frown back. After my mom's unwelcome visit, Abby had her concerns confirmed. That I may have a few issues with my body and food.

"Yes, you saw me eat it," I tell her, walking over to sip some water. I don't add that I actually only ate the banana and threw out the rest but she saw me eat the banana.

"I don't think you should cheer today." She says it loud enough that Amy hears and walks over.

"Why what's wrong?" Amy gives me a once-over.

"It's nothing, I just have a headache from this ponytail I think I did it too tight." I pull at my ponytail hoping that this will be the end of this conversation but they don't let it go.

"Okay, I have a nice silk one you can use! Come to the changeroom I'll redo it" Amy waves me over and we walk to the changeroom with Abby trailing behind us.

Curse Amy for being such a thoughtful  cheer captain

She sits me down and pulls out my hair tie which was actually way too tight. However, once she starts brushing my hair she stops and I see her look toward Abby.

"What?" I ask but she says nothing and keeps brushing but with a more gentle touch.

"Juliet" Amy says softly and I whip my head around to see what's so difficult about a ponytail but in Amy's hand is a clump of my hair.

My face goes red

Was that not normal?

"Sorry I shed like a dog. I forgot to mention that" I let out a fake laugh that comes out way too nervous.

"Juliet that's not a normal amount of hair I think—" Amy puts a gentle hand on my shoulder but I stand up and take a step back.

"It's normal, lots of people lose hair." I smile at Amy to convince her but she's just looking at the clumps of hair in her hand like it's going to tell her something.

I had tons of hair left I don't know why they were worrying.

"I don't think you should cheer today. Maybe you can sit this one out until you are feeling better." Amy finally speaks and I know she isn't going to let me change her mind.

"I feel fine" I grit out with a fake smile but both of them are looking at me like I'm some sad-kicked puppy dog so I just grab my sweater and pull it over my workout clothes. "Okay, I will sit today out." I nod at both of them and give another smile before walking out.

I am shivering on my way back to the dorm because I forgot my sweatpants and I feel the cold much easier this winter. I'm so busy thinking about how I just got kicked off the cheer team because I shed hair like a dog that I don't see the silhouette of a man leaning against the stonewashed wall until his heavy black boot hits the top of my thighs.

"Been looking for you," a deep rumbling voice greets me, and the voice sounds violent.

I face the man and recognize him as the man who followed me down this same path the other day. The bag I am holding with my stuff slips out of my hand and I'm sure my face is pale. "What do you want?" I squawk. Yes, squawked of all things. I didn't know I was capable of making such an ugly noise but here I was.