54: I'd have stalked Chris Evans until he agrees to date me

Start from the beginning

“You and Jack did a great job – as expected of course. But then, I noticed the parts in which the voice speaking wasn’t Jack’s, but yours.”

She could hear voices from off boring assignment pages? Damn, I had to hand it to her – she really knew her stuff.

“And that voice was so raw and beautiful, with so much to say. Believe me, I’ve read Lucia at least twenty times, but I’ve never imagined it possible that someone could delve as deep into the heart of Lucia Sandoval, as you did. You know, most people analyze Lucia’s character as a free spirited woman who wouldn’t let herself be tied down to any man, hence, her numerous love affairs.”

That was true though. But I'd never agreed with that view – and that was one of the things which made reading the book so enjoyable for me.

“But you, what you did was…it was brilliant to say the least,” she gushed,  “And I know the only way for you to have been able to explore her character the way you did, was because you connected deeply to her. In fact, one could even say you became her.”

Ok, this was getting pretty deep. I became her? Believe me, the only thing I became while doing the assignment, was a girl who wanted to pass. But I doubted Miss Green would want to hear that, so I left her to continue her passionate speech. 

“And that is a good thing, Brooke, it really is, But at the same time, it also poses a problem for you.”

“Problem?” I echoed, to which she gave a small shake of her head in the affirmative.

“Yes. You considered the book from the perspective of love as a glorified fantasy, right?” At my affirmation, she was now saying, “well, that was a great choice. But then again, although it’s practical in describing Lucia’s story, it isn’t the same in your case. And as I told you, I heard your voice in your analysis. In fact, at one point, that voice was no longer speaking on behalf of only Lucia.”

It wasn’t just what she said that struck me, but rather the realization that there just might be some truth to her words. I wouldn’t deny that while working on the assignment, there’d been times in which I’d found myself expressing my own feelings on the page.

“You said there, that love is a conscious effort – something which you create in your mind. And also, that a perfect love is born not because of how intense the feelings of the heart are, but rather because of how much effort you put into developing that love.”

I remembered writing that, and I sure remembered what exactly I was thinking when I wrote it.

“Correct me if I’m wrong, but when I read that, I felt like you didn’t have just Lucia in mind while writing that.”

“You’re right,” I admitted weakly. 

“But do you really believe that, Brooke?”

There were a few hesitant seconds, and then: “yes. After all, things work better only when you put effort in making them better, right?”

“You’re right,” she answered honestly. “But then, love is perhaps the world’s most unreasonable emotion. Seriously, that shit’s fucking stupid!”

I cocked an amused brow at that, to which she chuckled, hitting her lips softly. “Oops, sorry about that. But what I’m saying is that one can never understand love because it doesn’t follow a pattern. You just find yourself falling for someone, and you don’t even know why. Love is perhaps the world's most imposing feeling. One day you’re all good, and the next, you’re falling helplessly with no way to stop yourself. So, then, if you don’t even know when or why it happens, how can it be a conscious effort?”