𝑰𝑽. 𝒂 𝒕𝒂𝒍𝒌

Start from the beginning

Harper nodded, understanding.

"It's my duty to protect all off Hellfire. I need to watch over the sheep." Eddie said before putting the cigarette up to his mouth again and taking in a breath. As he spoke the smoke filled the car, "And I really don't want to lose a single sheep."

Harper hadn't noticed that they were already outside her house. Eddie stopped the car and put it into park before turning towards Harper.

"Please, Harper. Be careful. I- we care about you, even though we haven't known you that long... I can tell Hellfire would be devastated if something bad happened to you." Eddie said, his normal joking tone and amused-sounding voice nowhere to be heard. Harper couldn't tear her gaze away from his eyes.

Harper nodded, "I'll be more careful from now on, Eddie." She breathed.

Eddie took one more breath of the smoke before leaning towards Harper. His nose was inches away from hers as he spoke, "Good... we can't have the sheep getting lost now, can we." He said, his voice low and gravelly. The smoke from his lungs filled her senses as he breathed out. Harper felt her face heat up, but the smoke in the car hid her expression well.

"R-right." She mentally cursed herself for stuttering, "Thank you for driving me home, Eddie..." Harper said as she turned and opened the van door. As she stepped out all the smoke was released from the van. She turned back and waved at Eddie, "Thanks again, Eddie! Bye!"

Eddie sent her a grin before she shut the door and he began to drive away, but before he got far enough away he honked the horn twice, causing Harper to let out a chuckle.

•••

"Take time to set up your characters." Eddie said, sitting down at the head of the table, "I'm being generous this time, so your characters regain their spell slots and health." Harper looked down at her sheet before erasing the used spell slots, she thought it was a little suspicious that the DM was allowing them to regain their health at a random point, but quickly brushed it off.

Gareth glanced over at her, "Hey, Harper, how did you enjoy the show last night?" He asked, "You know after..." Harper shook her head, trying to indicate that he shouldn't mention it in front of the younger boys.

"It was good!" She spoke, I really enjoyed the songs you played." Eddie, who didn't look like he was paying attention sent a glance to Harper, "It's been a long time since I've been to a show and you guys were mesmerizing up there. The way you played was-" She paused trying to find the right word, "Breathtaking."

A small smirk grew on Eddie's face which went noticed by Harper, "Glad you enjoyed it, sweetheart." Eddie said, his voice low as he dug through one of his bags, looking for mini figures.

"Being in Corroded Coffin sound so cool!" Mike spoke up, erasing his four points of damage and rewriting his original health.

Eddie chuckled, pulling out the mini figures and placing them on the board, "Maybe once you turn 18, little man." He looked up at the boy now that he was all set up, "You can't go into The Hideout unless you are 18."

Mike let out a disappointed huff. Dustin and Lucas also seemed pretty disappointed, they just wanted to watch the show.

"Alright. Everyone ready?" Eddie asked, leaning over the table and propping one knee up on his chair while he stood with the other, his hands pressed flat against the table. The party hummed in agreement, the occasional 'yes' or 'uh-huh' thrown in, "Perfect..." Eddie grinned, lifting one hand off the table and using it to describe the scenery around them, his voice was low and just above a whisper as he spoke, "The rainforest around you is dark, yet calming. Rain patters against the ground. You are in a clearing that is too dark to make out anything clearly."