Chapter 12

Once, when Adrian was little, he broke his arm.

How, you ask?

Well, it had all started with an extremely-well-perfectly-executed plan.

Adrien was going to escape the mansion.

He had thought it out perfectly (as perfectly as any eight year old could). Timing was of the most importance. He would leave at nightfall, right after he was checked on for bed.

Little Adrien would open his window, bring down his hand-made ladder, and climb fifteen feet to freedom.

The plan failed almost immediately.

It appeared that his top notch ladder (which had been built out of excess shirts and socks) was not sturdy enough to hold even little Adrian's weight.

As Adrian fell he thought it was worth it to see the city at night. Even if he would be killed for it.

At that moment, he thought he just might.

But for his freedom hard he hoped, and far he fell.

......

Falling from the Eiffel Tower felt awfully similar.

Adrian-Chat, that is, didn't mean to be falling.

It had all happened on accident, of course.

You see, Chat had a thing for sneaking out at night; Maybe it was because he loved the freedom of the night time. Maybe it was because he hated being at home. Maybe it was because it was easier for him to blend in at night.

Maybe it was because ever since a specific rainy night, he'd found himself coming to this side of the city more and more.

Regardless, he jumped from rooftop to rooftop, ignoring the burn in his claves that came with every step. He didn't mind the workout. He looked forward to it, really.

Anything beat being at home.

Chat was about to jump to the next roof when it happened-

The call from his father.

Instantly Adrian-

Chat noir-

Adrian set into full panic mode. There were only two reasons his father would call at this hour. Family crisis, or it'd been found out that he's escaped the house...

"Adrian, I'm going on a last minute business meeting. I'll be gone for two weeks, so if you need anything just call Natalie." The tone in his father's voice was cold and distant.

So definitely not a family crisis. A family miracle, perhaps?

Adrian instantly felt guilty for his own thoughts, but he couldn't help it.

"I understand, father. Let me know if there's anything I need to do while you are away." He tried to keep his voice as nonchalant as possible.

He heard muffled voices on the other end, a pause, and then, "Of course I will, Adrian. Behave while I'm gone."

"Yes Father. I-"

The line went dead.

Adrian scoffed. He was going to say a simple I love you, but obviously that was too much to ask for.

Still, two whole weeks of freedom. Real freedom.

He was ecstatic.

If he was flying from rooftop to rooftop before, now he was soaring; Dancing along the skylines of Paris until he'd lost track of time and anything other than the simple phrase: you're free.