Chapter 13: Peaceful Days Continue

As I found out later on, Daniel was the son of a court physician, Nathaniel Lipovsky. Due to Alexei's illness and the doctor's frequent visits, the two children had grown rather close over the years. Daniel, or "Danya", was a good-for-nothing troublemaker, always causing mischief and cajoling Alexei to join in his incredulous deeds. 

He was an expert liar, who could just about create a whole life story in the blink of an eye (which is quite an impressive feat, coming from experience). In fact, during my first few encounters with him, he had managed to make me believe that he was in fact the prince of a small kingdom named "Aidioht" and that he was on a secret mission to woo one of the Russian princesses. After I found out the truth, I was so embarrassed that I couldn't look him in the eye. He proceeded to call me "Miss Aidioht" (a.k.a. Miss Idiot) and poked even more fun at me. The kid was an absolute pain. 

My time at the Cottage Palace was short lived, as the royal family moved to their summer home, the Livadia Palace, in the spring of 1916. I was living with an awkward status as a moderately-honored guest. I was not aquainted with anyone other than the tsarina, Alexei, Daniel, and Zinovia. 

A small room in the guest quarters was to be my home. It was not that far away from the tsarevich's apartments, but still I was not able to spend too much time with the heir besides in his lesson times or play times, in which Zinovia would take me to a designated room for activities. Sometimes, Daniel would chime in and generate many headaches for both myself and Alexei.

I was always to accompany the tsarevich during those time slots, as my meager knowledge in random areas were deemed as "helpful". So were my supposed "healing powers"(which were kept a secret). I did not get a chance to use them after the day we first met, as the tsarevich was very careful and managed not to injure himself. 

Reading thus far, you might have wondered: what did you do with all that time? Valid concern. I had many hours during the day (and night) where there wasn't just something assigned for me to do. In those times I was mostly confined to my chambers, forbidden to go outside. 

In my room, I was plotting and scheming. 

Although I was a decent student, I didn't have all the events in the Russian Revolution at the top of my head. Even if all went well, the royal family were going to be executed. What would happen to me afterwards? What of my life? How was I to be taken back to the present? A million questions filled my head. 

Going back to my life in the 21st century  was the best solution to all this. However, that was impossible. I didn't know what the heck it was that brought me here, nor how it brought me here. 

Crossing that one out, there was only one solution: flee

I would smuggle myself out of Russia, to any other European country where I wouldn't be stuck in an ongoing revolution. There I would start a new life. To do that, I needed a lot of money. And some knowledge on the war. I knew that in the next year or so the Russian monarchs would either be sent to exile or be killed. It would have to be quick. I tried to think of all the ways I could make money. As of now, the tsarina was giving me an allowance every month - about three rubles. Were they enough to smuggle me out of the country? I don't know. Most likely not. 

But then again, was it ethical to leave the Romanovs to face their fate...? I pushed the thought aside and shook my head. There was still time. I would think about that later. 

I got up and started pacing around the room, with a sickening feeling in my stomach. Three light taps on the bedroom door announced a visitor. Checking myself in the mirror once, I pulled the doorknob and found Daniel waiting outside. In his hands were two thick winter coats, and on his face a big grin.

"Good afternoon, mademoiselle," said Daniel, with a superfluous flourish of the hand. There he goes. 

"Good afternoon, Monsieur Lipovsky. What a..pleasant...surprise.."

"Aren't you glad to see me?"

"Of course. What is the matter?"

"The tsarevich and I had just thought—eh hem—that you might enjoy going sledding with us. I have come to take you where you need be, now, follow me."

As I stood in confusion, perplexed by such an abrupt invitation, he handed me one of the coats and motioned to put it on. I obliged. As we led ourselves out of the hallway, I could see Alexei running towards Daniel. 

"Daniel! I meant like maybe! You can't just call up like—oh, sorry for the intrusion, Edith. I'm sure Daniel already explained, but—"

"Let's go!" 

Daniel plopped the other coat on top of Alexei, and took both of our hands. Outside, two sailor-bodyguards (the same ones that I had met when I first came here) were waiting for us, in a small automobile carrying three sleds. 

After a five-minute ride, we were facing a great white plain, with small rolling hills. The perfect spot for a sleigh ride.

"The last one to reach the top is a loser!" 

Daniel yelled as he hurried out of the automobile and carried his sled up the hill.

Alexei smiled at me and went on his way as well. (The traitor!!)

I was the last one to reach the top. When I did, Daniel had already been hurtling down the hill, at an incredible speed (with incredible volume as well - his shrieks were deafening). 

"C'mon, let's go! Do you want me to push you off?" 

Giggling, Alexei sped down as well. 

It was finally my turn. I had my fair share of fears, and heights was...NOT one of them.

The two boys watched as I maniacally cackled, sliding down the hill on my stomache. This was the most fun I'd had in quite a while. As I sped down, the white world turned into a blur. 

After that was all a frenzy of snow and madness...untill..

A crash sounded from nearby.