His bright chair

Beth and Derek went shopping for food. Beth was Derek's provider David, Beth's son drove the shopping cart and Beth pushed Derek's wheelchair, while Daniel, David's twin brother, sat in the cart. Unfortunately, Beth's kids don't know any better.

After they had finished shopping, Beth turned to the checkout lane. Derek suddenly yelled at her. "Stop the stupid wheelchair this instant!"

Beth was used to Derek's behavior, he needed everything to be his way, otherwise he became difficult so without complaining, Beth went to the self-checkout even though the line for it was longer

Suddenly, Beth's children backed up from Derek and then started whispering and giggling. They were so quiet nobody would hear them, Except for Derek, He heard

"Mr. Can't-walk-man"

"I bet he has to hop on one leg to be able to go without his wheelchair"

Derek stared at his wheelchair. He started to think about why he even was in a wheelchair and thought and suddenly, of his wife, she died 15 years ago in a car crash where only Derek and his daughter survived. His wife and son didn't make it. Derek was in a wheelchair because he was in critical condition and his daughter survived a minor injury on her arm.

"Derek, you seem upset, is everything alright?" Beth asked.

Derek did not respond to Beth, he didn't have the gut to. But Beth knew something was wrong so she told Derek

"Listen to me carefully, your rough times have a light in them, we just need to find it and I'm gonna help you with it to get to a better place with proper treatment. There's no such a thing such as a smooth mountain without any bumps or sharp edges."

Derek thought for a moment. He smiled at Beth. Beth's boys were just standing there in the corner of self checkout and were staring at the two of them.

Without saying a word, they went back home and Beth got her children in trouble, she knew her boys were always doing something wrong.