Chapter 4 - Punishments

(A/N: omg I had to look up the whole 'your highness' (prince or princess) 'your majesty' (King or queen) and 'your grace' (duke and dutchess) cause I couldn't remember which is which, and I was thinking I forgot to apply it to this fic, but omg... I accedently got it CORRECT every time lol, anyway... Happy reading)

"How dare you sneak out," this was the second lecture she had gotten after she was home once more. "She could have seen you and you would have died if she did!" Ha, she thought, though tried not to laugh at her mother, if she only knew! She didn't, and Emma was glad that her mother didn't know, though surprised. Lots of Snow's friends would have been invited and she was sure the fact that the Queen, her Queen, decided to dance with her, would have come to light somewhere.

"We are very disappointed in you Emma," Charming chimed in, though clearly he still, after all these years of Emma being in trouble, didn't know how to dish out a warning, lecture, or punishment.

"Yes, we are, and because not only did you sneak out behind our backs, you went to a party with her and went directly against our wishes," Snow's face was red hot, she looked so worried and enraged it made her look a bit like an angry gnome. This thought almost made Emma laugh, causing Snow to scowl at her. "Don't you dare laugh at me? You are in big trouble."

"I went so we didn't start a war!" Emma protested, distraught at the fact her parents would rather have enacted a war between the two kingdoms.

After the Queen had left Emma in that small room, she was quite dazed at the turn of events, how quickly the Queen had decided to flee. It had hurt her, when she had left, made her doubt herself afterwards. Then again, it could just be in her nature, what with a title like 'the Evil Queen' and all.

"We are hosting a ball this coming week," Snow went deadly quiet, whispering, though no angry emotion was lost. If anything, it was more terrifying than loud Snow. "You are to find yourself a suitor, you are to find someone to marry," the way she kept gender out of her sentences, allowed for a glimmer of hope within Emma. "You are to marry, and you shall have a strong king by your side, that way, we can ensure the future of the kingdom. If you do not, then you shall have your status as Crown Princess denounced, and your brother shall be named heir.

Emma stared at her mother in shock. This was it. She'd not only have to marry a man she just met but also someone she knew she could never be attracted to.

Over the next few days, Emma was contained. She was unable to leave the castle entirely, forbidden in the grounds, and forbidden to see her steed and for her riding lessons. She was cooped up, with Snow, whose anger was slowly fading, but the excitement was growing. Emma had spent days being put into one dress then another, shoes chosen for her, corsets strung and unstrung, etiquette lessons and more. Overall, she had to admit, it was the most boring week of her life, and what made it worse, was her mind would always wander to her.

One morning, Emma watched the courier run from the palace, bag laden full of invitations, and out into the world to deliver news that Emma was to choose her suitor. Word was sent out across the kingdoms, and responses flooded through the doors in the days leading up to the event. Snow was ecstatic, completely forgetting about the whole incident that had happened, and allowed Emma back to her usual haunts and riding lessons just outside the castle, but still within the grounds.

Emma watched the days pass slowly, out of her control and allowed the day of the ball to wash over her in a flood of emotions, none of them good. She was in her room, her mother lecturing her as she stared off into the distance. Her underlayers were being put on, the corset over the top, padding and extras stuffed where needed, and little reduction actually used. Petticoats and shapewear were placed around her body, a barrier between her and anyone she was to dance with tonight. Her sweeping dress was placed over her shoulders, around her waist, tightened with ribbon. She was moved to look in the mirror at the beautiful green gown she was now wearing. She had to admit she did look brilliant, but it felt as though it was all for nothing.