Chapter 2 - No pumpkin Carriage here:

Her parents did not want her to attend the ball. They had even said they 'forbid' it. She couldn't blame them; it was being hosted by their enemy. Despite this, and even though the Dark Queen would recognise her, she still wanted to go.

          She could only remember being locked in the castle. Her parents kept her in the grounds and the farthest she was ever allowed to go was the field next to the courtyard; even then she had to be guarded by at least two knights. The only reason she was ever allowed out that far was to learn how to ride her horse, like every royal is expected. That was the only time she ever got a whiff of freedom, even if she was being watched and guarded and caged; but she could at least imagine she was free for a fleeting moment, and it was enough for her to keep going.

          After her parents stopped her from going to this ball, she had concluded that she must attend. That meant sneaking out, which they would never expect as she was such a 'good girl'. How she was going to manage it, she really did not know, but it was necessary. The White Kingdom must attend, or at least a representative, otherwise the Dark Kingdom might see it in offence or threat. Right now, therefore, she needed to make it through this dinner without arousing suspicion.

          She left her room in her regular evening attire, making her way through the long stone halls, heals clicking with every step. Each echoed all around her, making it as if there was a whole band of people clicking down the hall. Eventually, she makes it to the large wooden doors to the feast room. Why my parents thought it was a good idea to eat in here I wouldn't know. She signals to the guards either side of the door and they both formally bow their heads as they push open the great doors.

          "Thank you," she addressed them. Her parents always wonder why she gives thanks to the guards, but she knows that it probably makes their jobs a little more bearable. I mean, who would want to stand there all day just waiting to open a door? I honestly don't understand how my parents can't understand it is how incredibly boring it is.

          Moving into the room, she curtsies before she reaches the two steps down onto the main marble floor, where both her parents and brother are seated at the table. She makes her way over and sits next to her brother, Neal, and father, who is sat at the end of the table. The Queen sits across from her and her brother.

          "Good evening, sweetheart," her mother's voice sounded so chipper as it reached across the table. "How was your riding lesson today," she asks, although the princess knows she is not at all interested in the topic.

          "It went well, thank you mother," she replied in her most casual and sweetest voice, a little annoyed as she would normally only be interested in her brother. "You know my riding lessons are always the highlight of my week."

"Mhm," her mother only acknowledged that she spoke, she wants something, was the only thought running through her head. "I was thinking of throwing a ball to celebrate my daughter. It will be held a week from now and we have just the best time," ahh, so, this is what she wants. To find me a suitor. I just wish she would forget it.

          "Do you really have to try and cover up the fact you want me to find a man?" She asks, exasperated. I mean, why can't she just lay off, she knows I don't want to find anyone yet.

          "Oh, come on, sweetie! All you need to do is find a nice gentleman that will take good care of you and the kingdom as a future king," her voice was almost whiny, and it grated on the princess's nerves.

          "Mother," her voice shooting daggers across the table. "For the last time, I do not want to attend your suitor balls. I have had enough of this conversation, so if you could please just drop the subject," this earned her a stern look from the King who had, so far, stayed silent. Her mother huffed but said no more on the matter. As the princess was the eldest, she had her 21st birthday about a month ago and her brother had his 18th in a month and a half, she was the crown child of the kingdom. Ever since she came of age, though, her parents have been pushing relentlessly to find her a suitable king.