Part 52

Sidharth's P.O.V.

I was sitting and listening to Bani's father and couldn't return any of Sana's call since my phone was on silent. I somehow forgot to turn back the sound on after the surgery. "Sidharth," Bani said coming to me, "Sana just called me. She seemed disturbed." I took out my phone and saw all of her missed calls and sent her a quick message. She replied that she was fine and will talk tomorrow which didn't sound too right. Even through her message, I could tell, she was unhappy. "Excuse me," I said and got up. I went to a corner alone and tried calling her but she wasn't answering. After a few more times, she answered and I immediately yelled at her annoyed, "Why aren't you picking up?" "Sidharth, this is Sana's mom," her mother said. "Oh! I'm so sorry," I said. "It's ok. Sana is sleeping. She must have a headache since there are tablets here," she said. I frowned. "OK aunty. I'll talk to her tomorrow," I said. "Bye," she said. "Bye," I said softly and hung up. I felt bad for not being able to speak to her. She was busy the entire day and she said that she will call me. I should have checked my phone. "Is everything alright?" Bani asked coming to me. "Yes. I think I should head home," I said. "Can you give me a drop by the cafe down the road? I have to meet Aman," she said. "Yeah, sure," I said and took leave from her parents. I drove her to the cafe and she looked at me and sighed. "Listen, I didn't want to worry you too much by telling you this but I think Sana might be hurt from you being with me," she said. "Why do you think that?" I asked. "Well, I am a girl and if Aman was hanging out with another girl the entire day and not answering my calls, I would flip out. But Sana is different. She might not say anything but it doesn't mean that she isn't hurt or scared," she said. "I'll talk to her. Don't worry," I said. She smiled and left. I drove home with her words in my head. 

The next day, I got ready and was attending my patients when Sana messaged me, 'I am fine. Thanks.' Last night I messaged her asking to message me in the morning about her health. 'I was worried about you,' I said. 'No need to be. I took my medicines,' she said. 'Are you angry?' I asked. 'I have to get ready and go to work. Talk to you later,' she sent. I sighed and rested my phone down. For lunch, I didn't get back any messages from her so I sent her a voice note saying, "I know you are angry at me. I didn't take any of your calls yesterday and you were trying to call me. I know you were worried about me. I'm sorry. I promise that this is the last time this will ever happen. Just, don't be mad at me. I'm sorry. I love you." Within minutes, she called me. "Hey," she said. "Hi," I said. "I'm sorry," she said. "Why?" I asked. "I don't know. I'm feeling insecure about you and Bani. Even if I want to, I can't seem to forget when you proposed to her and how close you two are. I am feeling less important compared to her," she said sadly. Bani was right. She was getting insecure. "I'm sorry Sana. But you don't have to be insecure. You know that I only love you and I will only love you," I said, "I'm sorry I made you feel like that. But you don't have to be worried." "There is something I want to talk to you about," she said. "Sure," I said. "Can we host our engagement in Mumbai?" She asked, "It's just that, we will have the wedding ceremony in Amritsar and everything else so I want atleast one function in my city." I smiled and said, "As you wish." "Really?" She asked, "You are willing to come here?" "Of course. It doesn't matter in which city I put the ring on your finger, right? As long as it is in your finger," I said. "Thank you," she said. "But, what about everyone here?" I asked. "I will be buying everyone's tickets and arranging for their stay here," I said. 

"Do you think they will agree?" I asked. "Of course they will. It's a short vacation for them. It's not like I am calling them to stay here forever," she said. "Can I ask you something else?" I asked. "Go ahead," she said. "Are you absolutely sure that you will be happy staying in Amritsar forever?" I asked, fearing whatever the answer will be. She was quiet for a bit and then said, "It will be a bit difficult for me since our business is all back here and I have to help Mom but we will work something out." "I know this is what you were trying to explain to me the first time you left. I was expecting that you stay here your entire life and leave everything behind just because I love you. I was selfish and didn't see that you have your life as well. I didn't put your dreams into consideration when I thought about our future. I guess I kind of forgot that you have your family and home in Mumbai," I said. "I wanted to tell you a lot earlier but your happiness always stopped me. I knew you would react like this and I didn't want you to end everything. I was scared of losing you," she said. "But you are so stubborn. You could have forced me to listen to your point of view. You could have talked it out with me and conquer my anger," I said. "I thought you hated me and didn't want to even see my face. When I was looking at you, you slammed the door on my face," she said. "I'm sorry," I said. "I'm sorry too. I don't know who were more wrong between us," she said. "Time and understanding was wrong. We only misunderstood each other and everything went wrong," I said. "I guess you're right but let us make a promise today," she said. "What promise?" I asked. "That we will never bring this up again in any of our conversations. It's in the past so let's just forget about it," she said. "I promise," I said. "Good," she said, "Now go across to the home and announce our engagement and tell everyone that I am sending tickets to them this evening. Tomorrow at lunch time, they will be on a flight to Mumbai," she said. "Ok," I said. "Love you," she said. "Love you too. Bye," I said. I hung up and looked at the time. I had some time before resuming work so I went across to the home.