He stared at her. "So, I leave, and now you and Klaus are buddies?"

"Allies. And blossoming friends. That one is still a work in process, though."

"I thought you hated him."

"I'm trying not to hate him. We need to work together to help the hybrids. So far, it's working. He's my fellow leader. I can keep him in check. He's taught me a lot, Tyler, he trained with me for over a week to help me learn to fight and use my abilities. I'm stronger now."

"Rosie, are you and him a thing or something?"

"No, we're not."

"Really? Because I don't believe you."

"We slept together once," she admitted. "But it didn't mean anything. Our wolves wanted it and we allowed it. I could never love him, and he could never love me. It doesn't matter. What matters is that now, we're working together and it's going really well."

Tyler looked unhappy to hear this. "And how do you know he didn't just take advantage of the fact you're sired to him?"

"He didn't. I consented before I turned. I woke up, transitioned, and it happened— why does it matter so much to you? I'm allowed to sleep with whoever I want to sleep with. It's not like I gave him all of our passwords and access to our bank accounts. It was just sex, be a grown up about it! Who gives a shit? I'm trying to tell you how good this is for the pack. Now that we're trying to get along, the hybrids will benefit. He's not invoking the sire bond, Tyler. Not on me or anyone else."

"What happened to you wanting to help the hybrids break their sire bonds?"

"I do still want that. It'll just take time. Right now, as long as he doesn't invoke it, it'll be fine. Eventually when Klaus trusts me more, maybe I can suggest that the hybrids need to learn to turn painlessly so that they can use their wolf form to fight. It's too risky to get started on that right now, because we'd need to sneak the wolves away individually or in small groups and it's just not safe with Klaus watching everyone like a hawk while the pack adjusts. Hell, maybe I'll even be able to tell him the real reason when we're ready for it! I just need to give it time for us to really be friends, so that he will react well to it. We'll get it done, just not yet."

He seemed to want to say something, but whatever it was, he didn't voice it. He turned away, rubbing his chin and trying to keep his negative comments to himself.

"So, how did it go?" she inquired. "Turning all by yourself? I wanted to come with you, but you just left without me. I didn't want you to do it alone."

"It was fine," he said. "I had help."

"What do you mean?"

"Doesn't matter."

Rosalind frowned. "Are you mad at me, Tyler?"

"Yeah, I'm mad," he said. "I left and came back to find you're a hybrid now, working with Klaus, sleeping with him—"

"I am not sleeping with him! It was one time! I don't have feelings for him! I like somebody else, and Klaus is actually helping me with that. You don't get to act all disappointed and ashamed. Go ahead and sue me for being aware and comfortable in my sexuality, no matter who it's with!"

Tyler just sighed harshly. "I'm going to be at Caroline's, laying low. Klaus can't know I'm back in town."

"Fine," said Rosalind. "I'm going to be at Klaus's mansion, checking on the pack. Let me know if you need anything. And— are you even going to tell your mom that you're back?"

"No," said Tyler. "And I'd prefer you didn't mention it to her until I've figured out how to approach Klaus."

Rosalind sighed. "Fine. Just tell me what you decide."