Chapter 3

Mason returned early the next morning.

"How was it?" whispered Rosalind as she passed by to kiss his cheek. "How do you feel?"

"Went alright except for the fact there were a couple of kids out there," said Mason. "Can't really remember many of the details behind it."

"That's a lie and you know it."

He raised a brow at her. "And how do you always know when I'm lying?"

"You always knew when I was lying when I was a kid. You pick up on the other side's tells. You just don't sound believable when you lie, Dad, especially in a case like this. You've been better at remembering details each time you turn, you admitted that to me. You recognized them, didn't you?"

"I... think I did. The blonde girl that was there looks like that Forbes girl, the Sheriff's daughter. And the guy with her was the one I arm wrestled with after Tyler. The Salvatore boy."

The Salvatores were starting to get on Rosalind's nerves. "Weird. Did they see you?"

"I think so, but they left pretty quickly. Don't worry about it, Ro"

Rosalind crossed her arms. "I do worry. Those Salvatores are getting on my nerves."

"You stay away from them," said Mason very sternly. "I don't want you anywhere near those brothers, do you understand me?"

"I'll stay away of my own volition. Something is wrong about them. I think they know what we are."

"No, they don't," said Mason confidently. "I would know if they did."

"Would you?"

"Pretty sure." He tapped her shoulder. "Don't think on it too much, it'll make us both spiral down into a state of paranoia. Just get ready and we'll head over to Jenna's."

The girl shrugged. "How do you know this lady again?"

"Your mom was friends with her sister, Miranda, who was a couple of years older than us. When we started dating more formally, I met Jenna and Jenna's boyfriend, Logan, who I took in sort of as an adoptive brother. Just at school, of course. Jenna used to babysit you when you were a newborn. When your mom left, I had to take some days to myself to process everything and Jenna was kind enough to help out. Then, Logan cheated on her and I took Jenna's side in it because he knew damn well how wrong it was and he still did it. And I guess he didn't like that I comforted her and stopped talking to me. Jenna left and... I haven't seen her since."

"Well, Jenna sounds like a good person," said Rosalind thoughtfully.

Mason agreed. "Yeah, she is. Some months ago, her sister and husband died and she's been taking care of their kids. One of them is Tyler's friend Jeremy. His sister is—"

"Elena Gilbert," recalled Rosalind. "I think Tyler once sent me a picture of him with her. Football player and cheerleader. She's pretty." She made a face. "Am I still allowed to say that? When I saw the picture, I was sixteen and they were fifteen and fourteen. We were kids, I'd just learned I like girls. But like, she's seventeen now and I'm almost nineteen. Is that... wrong?"

"I don't think so," said Mason, who genuinely didn't know the answer to her question. "Um, let's say... you can think she's pretty but you can't even think of kissing her or anything like that."

"Pfft, definitely not," said Rosalind. "We're heading back to Florida soon, there is absolutely no reason to form attachments with anyone here. Besides, I am still hoping that girl that works for you will notice me on the billionth time I bring you lunch."