Chapter 7

Rosalind went to find Jules.

She didn't seem to be doing too well. And pretty soon, Rosalind learned why.

"Oh, shit," she muttered when Jules told her what had happened. "That sucks for those campers."

"Yeah," muttered Jules. "They weren't my targets."

"You were going after someone specific?"

She nodded. "Listen, after you and Tyler left The Grill, this vampire came up to me. Jet black hair, blue eyes...?"

"Damon Salvatore," muttered Rosalind. "Of course."

"Yeah. He was being a dick. So, I fully intended to go and bite him. But I got his vampire friend instead. Whatever, she'll die anyway." She shook her head. "Something is up with this town. I don't like it. Brady and the others will be here soon. And then, we'll investigate more about what happened to Mason. I don't think this Katherine chick killed him."

"No?" asked Rosalind skeptically. "Why not?"

"I don't know, I just have a feeling." She rubbed her forehead. "Want to go to The Grill with me? I think I need a drink to wake me up."

"Sure," said Rosalind. "I can't drink but it should be fun."

They sat next to each other at the bar. Jules ordered some bourbon, and Rosalind got a strawberry lemonade. They were drinking silently until both sensed a presence behind them. Jules turned to address Damon, "Well, if it isn't the one I meant to kill... I'll have to get that right next time."

"You and your little pet won't live to see another full moon," said Damon as he leaned between them, "unless you tell me how to cure a wolf bite... and then I won't kill you."

"Promise?" said Jules with fake sweetness.

"Yes."

She placed money on the counter to pay for their drinks. "Bite me."

Damon grabbed her by the arm, but Jules didn't flinch. "I'm not afraid of you."

"Then you are very, very stupid," said Damon darkly.

"How's your friend?" asked Jules. "Rose, is that her name? Have the chills started? The unbearable pain?"

Damon sneered, "If there's a cure, tell me or start watching your back."

"Did I mention the dementia? It'll eat away at her brain. Soon she'll be rabid. You want a cure? I'll tell you the only cure that exists: take a stake and drive it through her heart. Kill her... just like you killed Mason."

Rosalind knew it was a test to see Damon's reaction. If he hadn't killed Mason, he would have been confused. He would have denied it. Instead, he was silent, and Jules quickly pulled Rosalind out of The Grill.

"I think I'm gonna pass out," said Rosalind as she ducked into the nearest alley, holding her chest.

"Lean on the wall," said Jules. "Breathe. One deep breath with me..."

Rosalind was already crying. "Stefan... Stefan let me believe that Katherine killed my dad... he lied to me..."

"And we're going to get them back for it," said Jules. "Right now, though, we need to be indoors. That vampire I bit is going to be a danger to all of us. Think I can crash at your house for a few hours?"

"Sure," she said quietly. "Yeah... we... we should probably tell Tyler what we know."

Jules helped her back to the mansion. Both were glad to see that Tyler was back.

"Oh, hey, Jules," he said, looking a lot more chipper. "Hey, Rosie, can I talk to you about something? It has to do with Caroline."

"Let me guess," said Rosalind quietly, "you realized she likes you."