Both father and son were in a good mood when the servant at the door announced, "Master, Second Young Master has returned."

It was just at that time when Second Young Master Su Ming Lang returned from the academy. Every day when Su Ming Lang finished his lessons, he would always be called into Master Su's study to be tested on what he learnt and there was no exception today.

Master Su was supressing the beginnings of a headache as he first looked at his outstanding oldest son, then looked at his second son who was as stupid as a little pig and felt that it was somewhat comical. Everyday, Su Ming Lang came to the study and by the end Su Yu would roll in anger.

Today was no different.

Su Ming Lang slowly entered the study and his lips curled up as he called out, "Father. Eldest Brother."

He was just like a little round ball, silly yet adorable. Su Ming Feng stroked his younger brother's head, "Ming Lang, did everything go well in class today?"

Su Ming Lang pursed his lips and did not speak. Every time he did that, it would mean that it did not go well, not one bit. He had been reprimanded by his teacher.

Master Su put on a stern face and ordered, "Extend your palm out."

Su Ming Lang shrank back a bit and stretched out his hands in misery. One could see a few red marks on the fair and tender palms. If these weren't the strokes of a ruler, what else could they be?

Master Su had a look of expectation but it was Su Ming Feng that felt anguished for his younger brother as he asked, "How could this teacher beat this heavily? He is just a child."

"It is all of your coddling that spoilt him to this level!" Master Su flew into a rage after he heard his oldest son and angrily asked, "What went wrong today?"

Little Su Ming Lang hesitated before speaking apprehensively, "The teacher asked me to write about 'the fox grieves when the rabbit dies' but I was unable to memorise it..."

"How do you want me to scold you!" Master Su had a look of pain in his face, "You can't even memorise words. Look at the other young masters at your age, which one of them are like you. When your Eldest Brother was your age, he was already reading books on military horses. The face of our Su family has almost been completely thrown away by you!"

Su Ming Feng was about to try to persuade his father when he heard his Second Younger Brother sobbing out, "Even though I was unable to memorise 'the fox grieves when the rabbit dies', I was able to memorise 'boiling the hound once the rabbit is caught' and it is longer by two words (in the Chinese wording 4 words vs 6 words). Since both have the same meaning, isn't it the same if one were to memorise 'boiling the hound once the rabbit is caught'?"

"What nonsense." Master Su simply did not know what else to say. Su Ming Feng smiled and said, "Second Younger Brother, these two phrases do not have the same meaning."

"Then what do they mean?" Su Ming Lang raised his head to ask.

"The meaning of 'the fox grieves when the rabbit dies' is that the rabbit died and the fox realised that it would suffer the same fate and felt sad. But 'boiling the hound once the rabbit is caught' means that once the rabbit was killed and the hunting dog had no more value, it would be cooked. It means to say that once a thing has no more value and is of no more interest, then the tool can be discarded. 'Boiling the hound once the rabbit is caught' and 'destroying the bridge after crossing the river' are somewhat similar." Su Ming Feng was a good elder brother as he patiently answered his younger brother's question.

But Su Ming Lang shook his head and still had a look of confusion, "Since both happen after the rabbit is dead, it should be treated the same. Anyways, the rabbit is dead."