Chapter 12: The Emperor Strikes Back

6 June 1887, New Orleans

Rebekah POV:

Fifty-two years. That is how long Klaus had left her daggered and all for her love for Marcel.

Former love. Rebekah thought. He had betrayed her.

Klaus wouldn't have hurt him, she knew. He was testing his feelings for her and at the slightest crack, they shattered like glass.

She walked about the manor they lived in like a ghost. Too angry with all of her siblings for leaving her daggered for so long. And it wasn't even the first time.

Even if it was hypocritical of her to do so, considering Cyrus, who had been right all those years ago.

Her older brother had been suffering the dagger for far longer than Rebekah had. Almost four hundred years now. Klaus had kept him daggered ever since Cyrus had helped that little trollop he had fallen for escape. She hated the girl for making her brother betray the Klaus back then.

Jealousy and spite - those were the driving emotions of the Mikaelsons.

Rebekah entered the room, she knew Klaus kept their brother in. Unlike Kol and Finn, Cyrus' coffin and belongings had morbidly taken their own room since they arrived in New Orleans. The box was laid on a massive table that stood next to the bed. She opened the lid and saw Cyrus there, all grey and withered like a corpse, the dagger in his chest the only thing that kept him there.

Her fingers caressed the dagger, wondering whether or not to let Cyrus fulfill his promise of retribution. Klaus certainly was still trying to keep his, his agents looking for the Petrova doppelganger and yet not finding her. She had to hand it to her - Katerina, no, Katherine Pierce knew how to survive. She had always been one step ahead of her brother and his lackeys were unable to return with news of her capture. Sometimes they did not return at all. Her brother's Strix still lurked in the shadows, no doubt working to undermine Klaus in his quest, loyal to their master even after so many years.

She knew Klaus was envious of that as well. The loyalty their brother inspired. And she knew that the only reason that they had not been assaulted by them was because Cyrus had instructed them to not endanger their lives. To continue their mission.

It was not for a lack of trying on their part though. Her brother's loyalists had attempted to liberate him four separate times but Klaus always managed to stop them.

It had been quiet now for over a century. As far as she knew anyways.

"Rebekah."

She turned around and bile returned to the tip of her tongue.

"Marcellus." She returned coldly.

"I..." he sounded mournful, not that she cared. "I never meant to hurt you like this. He said..."

"I do not care for your excuses, Marcel. You betrayed me to become a vampire."

"I wanted him to make me a vampire like him." He confessed. "We could still be together. I hope in time you will forgive me."

"Do not come to me with this nonsense." She raged. 'You never loved me. You betrayed me and for what? To be like Klaus."

And in her fury, Rebekah chose to lash out the best way she could. She grabbed the dagger from Cyrus' chest and removed the bloody thing, tossing it aside. Marcel panicked and rushed to get it.

"What are you doing Rebekah? You know your brother could dagger you again for this."

"You and him can both go shove it."