Chapter Seven: Fire

"Daisy," Jay called. She jogged over, noticing the tension in his shoulders and frowning.

"What's wrong?"
"Come out with me a sec?"

She nodded, following him outside the building. "Is everything okay?" He sighed, pulling her into a warm embrace. Daisy instantly relaxed into his torso, placing a small peck on his chin.

"I just miss you, to be honest. We're together all the time, but I haven't had alone time with you in god knows how long."

Daisy hummed in understanding, smiling at his sweet words. "It's okay, jagi. We've both had a lot on our minds." Jay shook his head a bit, pulling away to look her in the eyes.

"I'm supposed to take care of you. I know you're capable of handling yourself, but I haven't even made time to check in on you...are you doing okay?"

She cupped his cheeks, pressing a chaste kiss to his lips. "I'm doing okay," she assured. "And I appreciate you worrying about me, really. But I've got other people to rely on now, too." A flicker of pain crossed Jay's eyes and Daisy frowned.

"I didn't mean that I can't rely on you," she added. "I just...I've only ever had you and Sunghoon, and now I don't. That's a good thing, right?"

"Of course it is," Jay confirmed.

"The same goes for you now, Jay. All three of us—we're going to have to learn to lean on other people now. That's what it means to be a team. That doesn't mean that you're not important to me, or that I prefer anyone to you. Okay?"

The older boy sighed before smiling, pressing his lips to her forehead. "When did you become the mature one?" She giggled, pinching his arm lightly before kissing him once more.

"Mature, huh? I mean, we've done some pretty rated R things already, so this shouldn't be a surprise."

His eyes glimmered as he pinned her to the wall, placing a single sensual kiss on her neck before pulling away. "Don't test me, Princess. If you start something now, you won't be able to walk let alone practice." Daisy flushed, nodding as he led her back inside.

"Noona? Why are you so red?" Daniel innocently asked. Jake snorted, noticing the smug look on Jay's face and putting two and two together.

"I miss him," Daisy mumbled, eyes glued to Sunghoon on the screen. He was an incredible performer—no shock there. Handsome as ever, even through a monitor. Jake patted her shoulder sympathetically.

"You'll see him soon," he assured with a small smile. She smiled back, nodding.

"I'll see him soon," she echoed.

They took the stage soon after, and Daisy took a deep breath. As she exhaled, her eyes opened, showing a look of fierce determination.

"I'm gonna borrow him for a second," Daisy sweetly said, grabbing Jay from the trainees and pulling him to another room. Before he could speak, she pressed her lips to his eagerly.

He responded, grabbing her waist and slipping his tongue in her mouth. "What's gotten into you?" he breathed between kisses.

"You're really hot," she confessed, shuddering as his lips graced her neck. "I caught glimpses of you during the performance—I need you, Jay." He smirked, but then frowned.

"Daisy," he started, pulling away. Her eyes softened at his concerned expression. "Be honest with me. Are you feeling okay?"

"Of course I am," she nearly snapped, becoming a bit frustrated. Jay sighed softly, tossing her a water bottle which she caught with ease and a bit of confusion.

"No you're not," he replied. "You're stressed and it's setting off your mania. Sit down." Daisy pouted, plopping into her chair and crossing her arms.

"Are you sure I'm manic? I feel fine."
"Even if you weren't, we can't do much right now. This isn't exactly a private space."

Daisy groaned dramatically, knowing he was right. "Noona," Niki started, entering and taking a seat next to her. "How do you think we did? Did I do okay?"

She smiled brightly, cupping his cheeks and pecking his face all over. "I think you did wonderfully, Niki. You should be proud of yourself." As she saw the way his face flushed and he squirmed a bit nervously, realization dawned on her.

She released him immediately, turning to Jay with guilty eyes. "I'm manic," she finally accepted.

"Probably not super manic, but hypo maybe."

Daisy sighed, apologizing to Niki. He looked between the two with confusion, unsure of what they meant until she remembered her bipolar disorder. "Are you gonna be okay? Should I get you something?" She looked up, smiling gently at him.

"I'll be okay, just give me a bit to settle down. Tell the others not to come in here for a while, please." He nodded, leaving her alone with Jay who pulled her into his lap.

"I'm sorry, Jay. I really thought I was fine."

He shook his head, petting her head. "You've had a lot going on. Stress is a big trigger for you, so is lack of sleep. It's not your fault." She slowly nodded, relaxing into his arms and feeling a great sense of exhaustion.

"Try to stay awake until the announcements are made," he gently suggested. Daisy sighed, forcing herself to leave his warm and relaxing hold and beginning to do some jumping jacks to wake her body up.

"Noona! They're announcing who's going up!" Daniel's voice called from the other room. She all but ran out there, turning her eyes to the screen as the names appeared.

Jake.
Jay.
Youngbin.
Kyungmin.
Daisy.

She smiled bright, hugging Jay tightly before realizing Niki wasn't on the list. Her heart clenched in pain as she saw his disappointment. "Niki..." He met her eyes with a forced smile.

"Congratulations Noona, you deserve it."

She hugged him tightly, realizing at that moment they'd become pretty close. "I'll see you soon, yeah? Keep working hard." He nodded, doing his best to stay positive like she wanted.

The five headed back to the I-Land, crossing paths with those headed to the Ground along the way in a rather awkward and brief encounter.

As the gate turned, cheers erupted for those returning and joining for the first time. Daisy swore she saw Sunghoon fist pump upon seeing her and Jay re-entering the building.

"I missed you," she mumbled in his ear, glad to feel his arms around her again.

"I missed you too. Even you, Jay," he joked, hugging them both. Daisy smiled at her boys, her heart filled with warmth now that they were reunited.