xxv

"𝐼𝑡 𝑓𝑒𝑒𝑙𝑠 𝑙𝑖𝑘𝑒 𝑤𝑒'𝑟𝑒 𝑜𝑐𝑒𝑎𝑛𝑠 𝑎𝑝𝑎𝑟𝑡, 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑖𝑠 𝑠𝑜 𝑚𝑢𝑐ℎ 𝑠𝑝𝑎𝑐𝑒 𝑏𝑒𝑡𝑤𝑒𝑒𝑛 𝑢𝑠, 𝑏𝑎𝑏𝑦, 𝑤𝑒'𝑟𝑒 𝑎𝑙𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑑𝑦 𝑑𝑒𝑓𝑒𝑎𝑡𝑒𝑑

"𝐼𝑡 𝑓𝑒𝑒𝑙𝑠 𝑙𝑖𝑘𝑒 𝑤𝑒'𝑟𝑒 𝑜𝑐𝑒𝑎𝑛𝑠 𝑎𝑝𝑎𝑟𝑡, 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑖𝑠 𝑠𝑜 𝑚𝑢𝑐ℎ 𝑠𝑝𝑎𝑐𝑒 𝑏𝑒𝑡𝑤𝑒𝑒𝑛 𝑢𝑠, 𝑏𝑎𝑏𝑦, 𝑤𝑒'𝑟𝑒 𝑎𝑙𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑑𝑦 𝑑𝑒𝑓𝑒𝑎𝑡𝑒𝑑."
_______________________________

Loreleia

TODAY IS THE DAY of my first job interview. Don't get me wrong of course I've had job interviews, but this is my first one as a college graduate.

The job I'm interviewing for is an entry-level position to a popular newspaper.  I know I should have told Dylan about it but I want to surprise him if I get the job, and if I don't, then he won't have to know.

I put on my formal wear, throwing on a blazer, and grabbing a bagel before rushing out the door. As I wave down multiple taxis, one finally comes to a stop in front of me.

"Thank you, Thank you, Thank you." I rush out getting in the car. I tell the man the destination and I begin to prepare for the interview.

When we are about two minutes away, traffic holds up. I'm already late so I pay the taxi and walk.

I silence my phone as I walk into the building, my resume in hand. I get to the front desk and the lady smiles.

"Hi, I'm here for the editorial assistant job interview." She nods. "Of course, It's on the 12 floor, on your left, room 1208. Good luck." I smile.

"Thank you!" Once I get into the elevator, my brain begins to go haywire. My palms are sweaty and my stomach is in knots. Once I approach the room, I sign in and wait for my turn.

Luckily there are only a few more people ahead of me. I wait probably another 15-20 minutes before my name is called.

After the basic introductions, I go into detail about why I deserve this job and answer all of the interviewers questions to the best of my ability.

They told me they would call me back this evening if I got the job. Once I get back into the elevator and out the building doors, I feel a sense of accomplishment I haven't felt in a while.

I begin to walk when I'm bumped into by the one and only Sutton Quincy. "Sutton." I breathe. She smirks devilishly. "Rory, is it? Nice to see you again, Not so sloppy this time."

I grit my teeth but smile widely. "Of course not. So what are you doing here?" She grins ill-natured. "I was actually looking for you. I'm so sorry you had to hear about Dylan and I the hard way. I hope you understand you were just a fling to him."

I scoff. "Oh yeah, I heard all about it. From Dylan. Goodbye, Sutton. Oh, and next time you want to intimidate one of your ex's girlfriends, at least try to be sincere about it, but we both know you were never the best at acting."

Her mouth gapes and I walk away with my head held high. I unmute my phone and I realized I got a voice mail from Dylan.

I smile walking down the street ready to listen. "Hey babe, It's me Dylan, I just wanted you to know that I found out who sent the text. It was Sutton babe, it's her. Ok listen I'm on my way now-" His words are cut off with a crash.

My smile drops. I can still hear the noises of colliding metal until the line goes dead. This was 8 minutes ago. I unbutton my blazer and my speed quickens as I try to fine a taxi anywhere.

After running 3 blocks, I see it. The crash. It was him I knew it. Call it intuition but I know that car anywhere. I run and run, ignoring the forming blisters on my feet.

Tears stream down my face until I push against the crowd. Both cars were still there but only one person was on sight. Dylan. His face was messy with dirt and blood smearing his profile.

Officers were trying to contain the crowd but I pushed through. "I know him! Please! He's my boyfriend." They let me through and I run to him.

He's unconscious but they managed to get him on a stretcher.  They begin to roll him into the ambulance and I ask the EMT's if I can ride with them. They nod.

"Dylan, please. Please be okay. Please." My tears pool in my eyes, trying to keep the sobs at bay. The EMT's hook him up to so many machines.

At this point its near impossible not to break down. "I love you, baby. Please be okay." Once he was admitted into the hospital the officers began to ask me a few questions.

"Ma'am I know this is hard, but I need to know if the accident was premeditated. Do you know this man? It is on our record that he owns the car that hit him."

I couldn't believe my eyes. It was Jake. He hit him. Could he have planned this? Why would he run away if he was innocent? I clear my throat.

"Yes I know him. He is my co-worker. Dylan insisted he had a crush on me but I didn't believe him." The officer's nod. "Okay, we have a warrant out for his arrest and to search his dorm. It's going to be alright." He said noticing my worry.

I nodded and sat back down. I called Julia, and His parents, almost breaking down in tears multiple times. An hour later, Julia, Lisa and Patrick rushed in the waiting room.

I looked up with bloodshot eyes, walking over to them. "Hi. I dont know much, He was just rushed inside. If I would've answered the phone-" Lisa shakes her head.

"No this is not your fault." She hugs me. "Isn't it? I mean the officers found out the guy who hit him. It was a co-worker of mine who Dylan said had a crush on me."

Julia shook her head. "How were you supposed to know? Bad things happen all the time. Especially to the best of people." Silence hung over us until Patrick spoke up.

"Lets sit shall we? The only thing we can do is wait." I nodded hugging the frame of my body. A few hours later I got a call from the interviewer.

"Hello?" I said. "Hello, is this Loreleia Foster? I'm calling to inform you that you got the job." I nod. "Thank you." The lady notices my demeanor.

"Is everything alright?" I sniffle. "Uhm, my boyfriend w-was just in a car accident. Would it be alright if discuss this later?"

She gasped. "Of course, I pray he will be okay." I close my eyes, a single tear dropping. "Me too."

________________