Prologue

3rd POV:

Senior year, something Nancy Wheeler has been excited about since junior high. As excited as she is to start, she can't help the sinking feeling in her chest knowing that neither of her best friends would be there with her.

Barbara Holland, who died at the hands of the demogorgon last fall, and Hope Mikaelson. The mysterious supernatural phenomenon that appeared in the woods one night and helped Johnathan pull her from the Upside Down.

She also helped them not only bring Johnathan's little brother back from Upside Down, but also helped her, Johnathan, and her boyfriend, Steve, take on the demogorgon. The girl was a badass with a hard life.

Things seemed to be going great up until Christmas when Hope left the Wheeler house with Johnathan and Will and never returned. The only thing she left her two older friends were letters with the same things inside.

Nancy/Steve,

I know this isn't the best way to tell you, and I already hate that I did it this way, but I couldn't see your faces when I told you the news. I'm leaving Hawkins. Not for good, but I need to know if my family is out there. I never got time with my dad or Uncle in my time because of unfortunate circumstances. I have that time now and I'm sorry, but I can't give that up. I'll be back, I promise, but not right away. I'll call when I have more answers and I'll keep in touch. I promise. Thank you for everything and I hope to see you soon. Enclosed are two bus tickets to visit me. It'll bring you all the way to Boston and back. I hope the two of you use them. I gave a set to the Byers' family as well.

Merry Christmas,

Hope

Nancy didn't know how to feel about Hope's letter. She wanted to be angry with the girl, but she couldn't because she understands. Hope, as promised, kept in touch, but Nancy nor Steve found the time to visit the tribrid while she resided in Boston.

The Byers' went at the first part of summer and spent a week with her and her father and uncle. That all brings us all the way back to now. The first day of senior year. As Nancy puts on the final touches of her makeup she hears a horn from outside. Steve.

He started driving her to school during the second half of junior year and has done so ever since. Doing one more once over she grabs her back and rushes downstairs and out the front door after yelling goodbye to her parents.

She grins as Steve pulls her into a kiss as soon as she enters the car. "Morning." He grins at her dreamily as he pulls away. "Good morning. You ready to get this year over with?" He asks. She rolls her eyes, and smack his chest, but grins. "Just drive."

He grins wider and pulls away from her house. The two chat all the way to school and once they arrive and get their parking spot for the year they talk in the car while they wait for the right time to walk into school. As the warning bell rings the two exit the car and head for the front doors.

That's when they hear the murmuring. Not about them, but the apparent new girl currently walking towards the school behind them. Curious, the two stop and turn around. Hope beams at her two friends when their eyes widen at the sight of her. "Did you miss me?"