Chapter 1: Consider This a Lesson

Hope's POV:

I've been back in Hawkins for a few months now and I couldn't be happier. I was nervous to ask my dad and uncle to move with me back to the small town, but they instantly agreed. Mainly because Elijah thought it would be best for me to have as normal of a life as I can.

It's now the day before Halloween and I can't be more indifferent to it. Being the creatures that people dress up as to horrify their friends is a little depressing. Besides, I never celebrated holidays in my time, and I won't celebrate them now.

Steve and Nancy have tried to convince me to change my mind, but they haven't been able to sway me. Johnathan is on my side. We're gonna take Will and the other kids around trick or treating tomorrow night which I'm thoroughly looking forward to.

When I get to school I'm walking towards the front doors when I hear the loudest engine I've heard since coming to this time. A pretty nice Camaro pulls into the parking lot and out steps two people. A girl around the kids' age and a boy my age. Everyone stops to look at them.

Mainly him. He's actually kind of attractive, but from the way he walks I can already tell he's a douche. They just have this walk that says 'I know everyone wants me'. It's pathetic really. So, rolling my eyes, I turn and head into the school. I quickly find my locker and open it.

Once I have everything I need I go to close my locker when it slams on it's own, causing me to jump and let out a small yelp. I turn and roll my eyes when I see that it's Steve wearing his stupid glasses that I got him a few weeks ago.

"You scared the shit outta me jackass." I say, shoving his chest as he chuckles. "Have you changed your mind about coming to Tina's party tomorrow?" I roll my eyes and go to talk away. "It'll be a cold day in hell before I attend a high school Halloween party Harrington." I tell him.

He jogs to keep up with me. "Oh come on! Everyone is going to be there." I stop and fake confused look. "No they're not." "Yeah, they are." "No, they're not, cause I'm not going." I say, starting to walk again after rolling my eyes for the third time this morning.

"Seriously? Nancy has had your costume ready since you moved back. You can't let that just go to waste." He tries. "You're right. She can wear it next Halloween." I tell him. "And speaking of Nancy, she'll kill you if you're late to first period." "And?"

"And class starts in three minutes and your class is that way." His eyes widen as he spins and rushes off towards his class, though not without throwing "WE'RE NOT THROUGH WITH THIS!" over his shoulder. I chuckle and turn to walk into my classroom when I bump into someone.

"Sorry." I mutter, looking up. It's the new guy. He has a smirk on his face. "No problem babe, but you can make it up to me by telling me your name." I roll my eyes. "Yeah, I'm not that sorry." I go to walk around him, but he grabs my arm. I glare. "Let go or I will break your hand."

His smirk never falters. "You're hot when you're angry." "And you're ugly when you're a douche. I said let go." "What are you gonna do about it?" He asks, leaning into me. I give him my classic Mikaelson smirk, mixed with a flirty smile, and lean in closer.

"I said let go." I whisper in his ear before kneeing him in the dick and twisting the arm holding mine around till I have the upper hand. "Consider this a lesson on not touching girls who don't want to be touched." I shove him forward and he stumbles slightly.

His smirk is gone, but he looks impressed now. "I'm Billy. Billy Hargrove." I roll my eyes once again and turn and walk away. "And I don't care." I call over my shoulder as I enter the room right as the final bell rings.

"Miss Mikaelson, right on time. Please, take your seat so we can get started." "Sorry Miss Farris." I tell her, walking towards my designated desk. With that Miss Farris launches into her lesson over the application of derivatives.

Most of the school day goes by without anything interesting happening. I mean, Nancy and Steve corner me after every class to convince me to go to Tina's 'let's get sheet faced' party tomorrow, but every time I decline. Finally, right before sixth period, Nancy breaks me.

"Fine! I'll go if Johnathan goes." I say, smirking, knowing there's no way in hell he's going to this party. She beams and hugs me. "Come over after school today to try on the costume I made you. You'll look amazing in it." She beams.

I roll my eyes, but let her drag me to our second to last period. After class we go our separate ways to our lockers and when I head to the entrance of the school I notice Steve and Nancy kissing against her locker and a deflated Johnathan walking away from them.

I jog to catch up with him. Even when I had just met them, I knew Johnathan liked Nancy. He still does and I know it hurts him to see her with Steve. I love Steve, he's one of my best friends, but I just don't think him and Nancy are right for each other.

I wrap an arm around his middle and his instinctively goes around my shoulders. Johnathan is like the older brother I always wanted. He's my Elijah, just not as posh. Where I'm reckless he's mindful. We fit. "You ever gonna tell her?" I ask him as we exit the school.

"There's nothing to tell." I sigh. "There is, and when you realize that, I better be the first one to know." I grin. He chuckles. "So, Nancy said you agreed to go to Tina's party if I went." He says as we near our cars that are parked next to each other.

"Yeah, cause it would get her off my back for the day. I swear the two of them are the most insistent people I know, and I knew Lizzie Saltzman." "Who?" "Don't worry about it. Anyways, we still taking Will and the boys trick or treating tomorrow?" "Yep, want me to pick you up?" "Sure."

"Ok, I'll see you tomorrow." I nod, side hugging him, before walking to my driver's side. I'm about to get in when I hear the already all too familiar voice that has been annoying me since our little interaction in the hallway this morning.

"Nice car Mikaelson. It's sexy when a babe drives a hot car." Billy Hargrove has already become the bane of my existence and I've known him for eight hours. Worst eight hours of my life and that's saying something.

"Do you just not know when to take the hint Hargrove?" I ask, turning around, leaning slightly on my door. "That you're playing hard to get?" "No, that I'm not interested." "Everyone's interested baby, but the ones who deny it are always the better catch." I scoff.

"Your unwarranted confidence is a huge turn off. I'll have my future partner blame you when I'm dry for the next ten years." With that I get into my car. I go to close my door when I stop. "Oh, and I've pulled more girls than you ever could. Remember that, ok?"

With that I slam my door, start my car, and drive away with a satisfied smirk on my face.