67

(67)

I was standing on the balcony outside my chamber.

I was staring down at the golden image of Liz, while the early morning sun reflected off the statue, making her as beautiful as ever.

Art ghosted next to me.

"I have gathered a group of our most experienced soldiers. There was not many left, Jimmy."

I nodded, wiping a tear from my eye as I turned to him.

"How many are there?"

"Just over 3,000. Many are not even soldiers, Jimmy. We have maybe 1,000 actual soldiers."

Art was shaking his head.

"Do you think it will come to a war?"

I nodded.

I knew the way of the Gods, as did Art.

"Everything with our people is about war, my friend. You know that."

Art nodded, looking down at Liz's image.

"You really loved her, didn't you?"

"I created her, Art. To me she was perfect. I am not like the others, with their perfect images of the perfect self."

I laughed slightly.

"I am the only God with facial and body hair. I am the only God who fucking swears like a dock worker. I am the only God who has ever fallen in love with the world that he created."

I looked back at Liz.

"And the only God who has ever fallen in love with an image he created, to a point where I will die, defending her name and the people that she loved."

Art put his hand on my shoulder.

"I admire your conviction, my friend."

"You are free to leave, you know," I told him.

"You are no longer assigned to my safety. I release you of the responsibility."

"Yea, well, that don't work for me, Jimmy. See, I have kind of fallen in love with these people as well, and my love and devotion to you goes beyond duty. I consider you a friend, as I hope you consider me."

I have to admit. I loved the guy.

"You are like a brother to me, Art. A brother I can actually trust and count on."

"Well, you are my brother, as far as I am concerned, Dzheyms. I will be honoured to fight once more by your side, and if necessary to die next to you."

I put my arm around his shoulder.

"Well, let's hope it doesn't come to that, Brother."

The Sun was now above the horizon. We had about 12 hours before we had to return to what was left of New York.

"Have you found any sign of Zara?"

Art shook his head.

"Nothing. She may not have made it out when the initial attack happened. Very few of us did, Jimmy, and that is because most of us had ghosting abilities." 

Art took a deep breath.

"Those who could not ghost, perished."

There was a moment's silence.

Art spoke first.

"What of Caleb? Why would Mat'-Zemlya take him with her?"

I shook my head.

I had no idea why any of the Gods did some of the shit that they did.

"I wish I knew Art. Mother doesn't always let me in on the workings of her mind."

"We could use him, if this becomes a war. He is a strong soldier."

I nodded, smiling.

"My son is one tough sonofabitch, that is for sure. He would definitely be an asset."

"Do you think I would let the death of my mother go unpunished?"

I turned to see Caleb standing in my chambers.

I went to him immediately and hugged him.

"I am glad you are here, my son."

Caleb had tears in his eyes.

"I will always be by your side, Father."

"I love you," I whispered, almost hoping he didn't hear me, but he did.

"I love you too, Father and we will see that Mother's death is avenged."

Art walked up to us.

Caleb hugged him as well.

"It is good to see you, Uncle."

"Will it do any good to ask what your grandmother wanted with you?"

Caleb smiled.

"In time, Father. Right now we have to band together against Ayleana."

I nodded.

"Gather all of our people. I want to speak to them."