Epilogue

Epilogue

The family gathered around, everyone anticipating Max's reaction as they heard his distant footsteps towards Jenny's living room. Alex and Vicky nestled their one month's old daughter close to their embrace. Max's family grew anxious to surprise him as they heard the front door creak open.

"Jenny? I'm home." Max called out.

His footsteps stopped at the foot of the stairs and his heart lurched once he saw the wheel chair. Rushing up the steps, he felt his heart clench when the door was wide open.

"Jenny?" He called out.

Sweat formed on his brow as he pushed the door open to find her standing in the center of the room, a small gift in her hands. He froze and his throat shut, feeling tears suddenly leak without his permission.

"Jenny." He whispered.

"Is that all you can say?" She asked. She chuckled, her laughter now a sweet melody to his ears. His feet nearly gave out from under him as he moved one in front of the other feeling he would never reach her. Her arm then encircled around his shoulders and a sweet tender kiss followed as he inhaled her sweet lilac scent.

"Happy birthday." She whispered. He grinned as her thumbs wiped away the tears he had shed.

"This is the best birthday ever." He muttered.

Max and Jenny held each other feeling the world stop revolving around them. For that brief moment, they were one as their lips met yet once again, their kiss a sweet passionate lavish. He smiled again and she took a gentle step forward leading him towards the open door.

"Are you sure you can descend?" He asked.

"How do you think I got up here?" She chuckled.

With each gentle step she took, Max felt his breath hitch, fear still lingering at the back of his mind unable to fully believe that this was happening. He drew his hands around her waist descending the large set of stairs slowly and ever so carefully. When they reached the last one he was relieved but only to his surprise did he feel himself jolt. A loud scream erupted from the living room entrance and Max held on to Jenny in a tight grip. Her laughter echoed with those who stood with bright grins. He fought for words to say and all he could manage was to stand in complete awe. The family surrounded him an embraced him giving him good wishes and luck for the future.

This had not been something he had expected, Jenny hasn't met his family properly yet. He knew that no matter what, they would love her and accept Jenny for the kind and sweet-hearted woman that she was. He was overwhelmed when his mother stepped forward and took Jenny in from head to toe with an approving smile.

"I always knew you'd find your way, son." She said. Her dark brown hair cascaded over her shoulders, as her green eyes shine bright with tears. In a soft embrace, she took Jenny and held her tight, giving a light sigh.

"Thank you for saving him, thank you." She confessed.

He watched as his girlfriend stood in shock and soon tears found their way out, pouring down her cheeks as she held on tight to her.

"Shall we?" Max whispered, as he pulled Jenny back into his arms.

***

For the first time she felt she belonged as Jenny observed the party, the way Max's brothers surrounded him pounding him in a playful manner. Alex and Vicky nestled close together, trying to feed Betsy a bottle as their parents gushed over the small child. Although she might have lost her real family somewhere out there, she knew that this was where she belonged and were she was wanted. Maybe along the way she would consider trying to reach those who had abandoned her, until then she would enjoy and bask in the love and comfort they lavished upon her.

Max reached her side and gently led her towards the large table of gifts as everyone surrounded them. She nestled close to his side and simply enjoyed just how right she fit into his embrace.

"I'd like to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for this great surprise. Thank you for the gifts and the cake, Alex, Vicky, but most of all I would like that thank my girlfriend, she has given me the greatest gift anyone ever could. She found me before I found myself, and rescued a very confused and torn heart. For that I promise to never leave her, and love her until I die an old man." He confessed.

Everyone clapped and Max suddenly took her for a light kiss in front of his family. She blushed as she lowered her head and gripped tightly around his waist, not use to the attention she was getting. She knew then that things would change for the best as everyone else clapped or cheered every time Max tore open a gift. To them this moment would pass, and soon their lives would keep moving on. However, this was a moment Jenny would never ever forget, and always cherish until she too died an old woman in her bed.

When things seemed like the darkest hour for me, I always knew you were there momma, although I could not see you. Thank you for putting in a good word for me to the man above, thank you from the bottom of my heart. She thought.

THE END.