Stubborn

~Chapter Six~

Max stopped the shopping cart just outside of Jenny's house and hurried to help her inside. He turned the knob, and pushed his way inside and turned to look in all directions.

"I think it was a bad idea to sell all of the chairs." He said.

"Just set me down on the stair case." She replied.

He placed her down gently and quickly stood to bring in all of the grocery bags. She watched him hurry in and out of the house placing all of the brown paper bags inside. For a moment she felt something in her stir, truthfully although she hated to admit it, happiness spread inside of her to see him being so helpful. By the time Max finished he wiped the sweat off his brow and helped Jenny into her chair.

"Thank you Max, really." She muttered.

"Glad to help."

She felt sheepish as she looked up at him and then directed her gaze back to her dead stems. "Would you like something to drink?" She offered.

"Sure." He replied.

Jenny made her way over to the kitchen and looked over at her counter filled with grocery bags. Now which one had the beverages been put in? The tip of her toes touched the bottom cabinets and she reached over only to wince in pain.

As she reached for the bag at the far end of the counter a fiery strong filled her belly. Jenny winced in pain and curled forward, holding on tightly to her belly. She huffed for breath trying to stop her face from going a deep red.

"Are you okay?" Max asked.

"I-I think one of my stitches opened up." She grunted.

"What can I do to help?" He asked.

"Please, just give me a minuet."

"Do you need to go to the hospital?" He asked.

"No, just please take me to my room." She replied just barely.

************

He hurried over towards her door, pushed his way inside, and faced Jenny as she crouched over in her chair. Her face was filled with pain and sweat as she took in small sharp breaths. Max reached over to her hands and tried to pry them from her stomach and as he achieved what he intendant he felt his head spin and his stomach turn. Her forearms were tainted with blood and a large spot bled through her bright red shirt.

"I'm calling an ambulance." He whispered.

Jenny suddenly reached out a hand and clutched on hard to his forearm squeezing all of her pain into it. "No, I can't afford it Max, no more medical bills, please." She confessed.

It pained him terribly to hear this and reached his spare hand to cover hers.

"Jenny you need medical help, I can't believe the hospital released you like this knowing you still had a lot of healing to do. You should sue those bastards for doing this to you. It wasn't very professional of them." He replied.

"Don't worry about me, Max, I'm doing fine I just stretched out too far, it's my fault."

"No, you should have a nurse helping you around this house, someone to help you clean and help you get around." He argued.

Gently she let go of his arm and wrapped it around her stomach trying to forget the pain that consumed her. Max stared at Jenny feeling completely awful to see her in this situation. His mouth was itching to make promises to her. He felt the need to be there for her, do anything and everything she wanted just to see her smile.