𝟎𝟐|𝐁𝐄𝐆𝐈𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐒

You followed Haku and Sen out to the elevator. The silence spoke volumes.

"Haku, you're to uphold your end of our deal now. If you don't, I'll breach my end." He only nodded and entered the elevator. Sen looked uncomfortable for a little while before speaking up,

"Uh- Haku-"

"Don't chit-chat. Call me Master Haku." It was satisfying to see the human girl flinch.

"Why can Y/n call you Haku?" She pouted. Clearly, Yubaba was right. This kid was spoiled.

"She and I are on the same level. She doesn't work under me." A pang of glee coursed through you, hearing that he considered you an equal.

"So then why is she allowed to chit chat?" This girl...

"Because I have the authority to do so. If you want to ask any more questions about me, don't ask Haku. Ask me." At least it shut her up.

When the elevator opened and you stepped out, you felt the eyes of the entire staff team. Guests, too. Some started whispering idle gossip, and some scowled at the human. After all, there'd been a ruckus about her. It was only when you all approached the workers that the chatter began for real. Nobody wanted to accept the human, and some of the women wafted their folding fans in disgust. They weren't wrong. The entire room reeked of human essence. It was almost suffocating. Haku managed to calm everyone down and send people to work. If only I could do that... you were quickly pulled out of your thoughts when Haku sent Sen Lin's way and pulled you with him.

"Haku! What are you doing?!" You hissed and writhed. He didn't say anything, but he followed you outside to a small pond.

"What is it? Why'd you take me here?" You asked and finally managed to pull your wrist back.

"Look, I can't go through with our deal, okay? Just promise me you won't harm her. The girl." You couldn't believe him. He really thought he could boss you around, too. It was about time someone told him otherwise.

"Why can't you just be happy with what you have?! Why must you take what's mine too?! Are you really that selfish, Haku? Are you?!" You simply couldn't help but let it all out. All the pent-up anger and resentment you held for him.

"Those missions are dangerous, Y/n!"

"Exactly! That's exactly how I could show Yubaba that I'm just as capable as you are, maybe even more! But no, you just have to be the best!" Luckily, nobody was around to hear your voice croak.

"You're so oblivious." He ran his fingers throught he calm water of the pond.

"What's that supposed to mean?" For a moment, you could've sworn he smiled.

"It doesn't matter, Y/n. We should just get back for now. I trust that you won't do anything to the girl." You scoffed at him in annoyance.

"What's she to you anyway?" For some reason, you dreaded the answer.

"I don't know. I just feel something. A certain connection."

"That's not my problem. I don't care. I'll do whatever I want because I have every right to do so." He just sighed and sat down in the grass. You followed suit and sat next to him. There was a small breeze, so it wasn't too awkward or anything. It was more relaxing than anything.

"I remember when you were new around here. Honestly, I can't believe Yubaba took you in just like that." His chuckle was sickening. Everything about him was dreadful.

"Rude. You're just jealous. I work harder than you do, I'm faster than you, and most importantly- I'm actually attractive." He mumbled something, but you couldn't hear him. You didn't care anyway. Haku didn't matter to you.