xv. birthdays and boyfriends

Start from the beginning

          Standing up, James took his robe off of a post on his bed, trying his best to stay as casual as possible. "Thought a change in routine would be good for us."

          Sirius threw some doubtful looks in James' direction, but that was about it. Soon the topic of conversation had drifted off in the direction of mundane town gossip and James started to think he was in the okay for now.

          However, as they headed down, through the Gryffindor common room, and towards the Great Hall for breakfast, Remus hung back at the rear end of the group and leant over discreetly to ask James, "You don't have practice at lunch, do you?"

          James knew Remus didn't care an awful lot about what he got up to when he wasn't in their company. He also knew Remus agreed with him that Sirius was an immature child that had some growing up to do and some independence to find.

          "Nope."

          "You're with Bronwyn then aren't you?"

          "Yup."

          "I won't tell Sirius."

          "Thanks, mate."

          Down below them, underneath the layers of concrete that grounded the castle, Bronwyn Ward was revelling in her first few awake hours of being eighteen years old.

          The Slytherin Quidditch team had made her a banner that they hung right in the middle of the common room, and as much as she appreciated the gesture, she couldn't help but voice her concerns that her name was now on display for everyone to see. Regulus said he had no part in it, deciding to pass over his gift to Bronwyn in a more subtle way. But he did tell her, their teammates' reason for such an extravagant way to say happy birthday was because "she's the Quidditch captain the younger years love her". Bronwyn smiled gratefully and said her thank yous before kickstarting the day ahead.

          Because, as much as she loved being a Slytherin, sometimes the dungeons weren't always the cheeriest of places to be and so she and Andromeda decided to head off for an early breakfast, away from the familiar setting and the colour green.

          "So tell me," Andromeda cooed as they strolled their way up the steps towards the Great Hall, post-birthday chocolate frogs and opening presents. Andromeda looped her arm through Bronwyn's and the two of them walked in lockstep along the corridor, a few of their classmates wishing her a happy birthday as they went. "What does it feel like to be a legal adult?"

          Bronwyn thought about it for a moment ─ what was the best word to describe the immense feeling of being the big one-eight? "Enlightening," she said wistfully.

          "I bet," Andromeda said. She had never been one for celebrating birthdays ─ much like Bronwyn ─ and her family didn't exactly get excited for her. But the prospect of turning eighteen did motivate her because it meant she was one step closer to starting her own life.

          "Wanna sneak off to the Three Broomsticks later and get wasted because you can legally get served?"

          "Is that even a question?" Bronwyn had a free schedule for the evening: no homework, no Quidditch practice ─ getting drunk with her friends (even if it's not legal for them) when they were not supposed to on a school night sounded just like what she needed.

          Andromeda sighed dreamily as the smells of crispy bacon and salty mushrooms washed over them. "I love us being best friends."

          Looking over at her friend, Bronwyn squeezed Andromeda's arm. "Ah me too."