iv. snitches and ditches

the girlfriend experience, james potter
𝒔𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟕

the girlfriend experience, james potter𝒔𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟕

chapter four, SNITCHES AND DITCHES

✧ ━━━ · ✦ · ━━━ ✧

     BRONWYN WARD DIDN'T KNOW WHETHER to look at being caught spying on the Gryffindor Quidditch team — which wasn't her initial intention, by the way (just a harmless practice clash) — as embarrassing, or funny. She was leaning more towards funny when James Potter walked into the first class of the new year (Potions ugh!) scowling at Bronwyn, and Bronwyn only.

     "Don't tell me that scowl is because you found me accidentally clashing with your early morning Quidditch practice?" The Slytherin chuckled as she slid into the seat that just so happened to be directly behind the four Marauders. "Or is it Shark Week for Miss Potter?" she teased, staring into the back of his fluffy head of hair.

     James placed his arm around the top of his chair, and twisted his body to look at her,  "That scowl is because my team has completely lost the element of surprise now that you know all of our new techniques!"

     Bronwyn fought the urge to cackle, "You mean the techniques that my team has already mastered?"

     Sirius Black, James Potter's right-hand man, was sat on the other side of the Seeker and shuffled to face her, so it was now two pairs of eyes glued to her own. Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew seemed rather preoccupied. That or they didn't care for James' pettiness. Bronwyn found no surprise in the dark-haired boy joining in the conversation. Nor did she find it odd that he was quick to defend his best friend: "Not cool, Bronwyn," Sirius said, tutting.

     "Did I ask for your opinion, Black?" Bronwyn questioned, shoving her bag under her desk. Andromeda Black, Sirius' much more sufferable cousin perched beside Bronwyn and concealed her creeping grin behind her hand, that she rested her head in, her elbows on the desk.

     Sirius shrugged, "I still wanted to give it."

     Bronwyn decided not to roll her eyes, out of running the risk that James might retaliate and do that thing he always does to gain everyone's attention so he would be the centre of the room in every possible scenario — overreact. "Anyway," she sighed. "You're just bitter that you've now come to the life-altering revelation that Gryffindor yet again don't stand a chance at the cup this year," Bronwyn smiled sarcastically.

     James pushed against the back of his chair, and the front two legs lifted off the ground, so he leaned over her desk. "Just you wait, Ward. You'll be the one scowling in the end."

     Bronwyn flashed her teeth, "Can't wait to see you proved wrong."

     The Slytherin Seeker spent the rest of Slughorn's lesson staring into James Potter's head and thinking of ways that she could kick his ass at the Quidditch Interhouse Cup.