x. the girlfriend experience

the girlfriend experience, james potter
𝒔𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟕

the girlfriend experience, james potter𝒔𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟕

chapter ten, THE GIRLFRIEND EXPERIENCE

✧ ━━━ · ✦ · ━━━ ✧

     "OH JESUS CHRIST."

     Bronwyn already had her head in her hands, but James Potter wasn't going to let anything discourage him. He was already embarrassed that he has subjected himself to needing The Girlfriend Experience, so he was determined to not let anything make it worse. "Before you say anything-"

     She stared at him, bored, "I already have."

     James was going to ignore anything that came out of her mouth unless it was the words: yes, James, I would be delighted to help you, with zero judgment. Seeing as hers weren't those words, he kept going, avoiding all eye contact. "Just know this is my last resort," he said slowly, feeling unconscious with the number of people glaring in his direction.

     Bronwyn looked over at Andromeda, who had followed James in here. As the two of them shared practically everything, they had mastered the skill of communicating via only their eyes.

     Did you let him in here?

     Andromeda gave a sheepish shrug, Possible clientele?

     No. God no. Anyone but him.

     Andromeda gave an unbothered look and exited the conversation by perching on the armchair beside the bay window and opening a book.

     At a loss, Bronwyn returned her attention to James, who was waiting for her to speak.

     Bronwyn knows ─ from years of personal experience ─ that whenever James Potter asks for your help, you say no. You will be wasting your time because he no doubt, set out to waste yours. "Whatever it is," she said to him, "the answer is no." She snapped her book shut, got up from her seat and headed for the dorm rooms. And for a reason she doesn't quite know, she thought that James wouldn't follow her.

     James considered leaving her alone for a short moment, wondering if he really needed what she could provide or not. It was an easy decision.

     Before she could open the door that leads to the dorm corridor, James tugged her into the tight aisle between two tall bookcases in the common room's personal library, located in the corner of the main room. He didn't let go of her arm until they stood by the window at the far end of the walkway. He angled his head down as she scowled up at him, hardly impressed, with an ache now settling in her arm. "I know about," James spoke cautiously, and he inched closer before he said, "your business."

There was very little light this far into the Slytherin common room. Dust specks were illuminated by the dim glow of the overhead lights, and the Black Lake was a murky backdrop beside them. The general hushed chatter of the lounge had become more muted this concealed and became a suppressed background noise. A few Slytherins poked their heads through the gap to get a look at the Gryffindor imposter, but James made sure they had all made their exit before he let Bronwyn speak.