xiv. babies and broccoli

the girlfriend experience, james potter
𝒔𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟕

the girlfriend experience, james potter𝒔𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟕

chapter fourteen, BABIES AND BROCCOLI

✧ ━━━ · ✦ · ━━━ ✧

"BRONWYN, I'M SCARED."

"Oh don't be such a baby."

Being an athlete, James prioritises sportsmanship. He will never cheat, he won't sabotage his opponents, he will approach the game with maturity (it's about the only thing he can take seriously). But the same can't be said for the entirety of the Slytherin house. At least from James' point of view.

Dirty cheats, the lot of them, James says (Bronwyn included). They don't deserve his respect and so they definitely don't deserve the satisfaction of knowing that off the pitch, he is rather intimidated by a large group of Slytherins.

Which is why he hovered anxiously by the entrance to the Great Hall, halting Bronwyn mid-step.

"They'll eat me alive."

"Doing the universe a favour then aren't they?"

Bronwyn was growing increasingly frustrated (and hungry!) at James forcing her to stand outside of the dining hall as everyone else casually strolled inside, wafting the aromas of the delicious feast towards her ─ the feast she should be tucking into right now.

She understands that being a Gryffindor sitting at the Slytherin table would make him the minority, as it technically isn't permitted but happens anyway (the teachers grow tired of telling people to move these days) but Bronwyn can't seem to find any problem with her one close friend. So James shouldn't have one either.

"Don't be a prick. You're not exactly making this any easier for me."

Bronwyn noticed how his face had been gradually paling since they arrived in this corridor. And she doubted it was from the cold. "Not my aim, Potter."

"Be nice, okay?" He moaned, defeat almost taking over. "You're the one making me do this."

"You're paying me to," she countered. "And I didn't sign up for you to be a big baby."

Baby was among the two things James hated being called the most. And the other was chicken so he wasn't exactly enjoying sharing this particular experience with Bronwyn Ward.

"So, put on your big boy pants, calm the fuck down, and act like the perfect boyfriend you so desperately want to be. Got it?"

Bronwyn could have sworn she watched a lump make its way down his throat as he gulped. "Okay," he mumbled, allowing a big sigh to tumble out of Bronwyn as she finally was able to drag him out from behind the wall without protest.