CHAPTER 20

                        Winter came, but Mera still went to the stables, where she'd play and feed her horse, a gift from Suleiman a few years before. In truth, it was just an excuse to meet up with Rustem Agha and hear of what happening in the outside world and in the synagogues. But today, she was the one sharing good news with them.

Mera had been feeling sick for weeks and had finally decided to call for the hakime when even her little kids seemed to notice her ill state every morning, the sultan himself asked but she just brushed it off as a cold. The hakime confirmed her doubts, she was once again with child. After being paid handsomely, the doctor promised them her silence. Mera needed to tell the sultan herself, and once she did, the whole harem would know, and she wasn't ready for that yet before, but today seemed like the best choice, as the child would quicken in her womb soon.

"Shalom Rustem, I hope the cold has been treating you well." She greeted the man as soon as she was in solitude with him and her guards in the stables.

"Yes, I am Sultana and you?" he greeted back.

"I am good as well." She nodded at him.

"Have you heard of the vizier retiring? It is a most auspicious time for him to do so, as the divan is planning on conquering Rhodes. But we can still turn this to our advantage, Ahmed Pasha is still young and from a noble family, if we get him to our side he can serve our cause." Rustem started suggesting to his sultan. "It has been weeks and he has yet to appoint someone new in his place, that is weird as well."

"Mustafa's teacher, Hatice Sultan's newest fiance is going to take the available post, but he is rather sick now, he might not make it after all, much to the joy of Hatic and Ibrahim. And Yes Rustem, that is indeed my plan, get at least one vizier at the divan at my side, then I will him be the first vizier and the sultan's second, and he will be the one choosing you to join the divan, by my orders, then I will have you made first vizier." She admitted.

Rustem stoo flagsbattered. "That is an honour, sultana."

"Yes it is." replied Mera blankly, before pursuing her lips and continuing."Of course, this won't happen till years from now and for it to happen, I need you to remain by my side and loyal."

"Shame on me Sultana if I ever betray you, no one will support me as you will, so I will not support any else, and besides, we jews have to help each other, no?" He answered.

"Good." replied Mera with a small smile on her face."But politics is not why I came here today. I have news."

"Oh?"

"Indeed." she confirmed."It is not announced yet, but I am with child."

Rustem gave a joyous laugh and congratulated her, she patted his hand in gratitude. "Please do inform the Rabbi, I want his prayers. It shall be a peaceful enough pregnancy, now that the red-haired jariye is in exile for that pathetic attempt of revenge using poison."

Mera went straight to the sultan's chambers, she was immediately accepted. She always came at least three times during the day and would tell him what she thought was the best way to go diplomatically or would tell him what she heard when the viziers were alone, so the guards stopped asking whether she could enter or not, as the hunkarim had said, if he was alone, then Mera could enter.

"Mera, my sultan, my love, you visited late today." Suleiman welcomed her with a teasing smile on his face.

"Indeed I did." She admitted before taking three steps towards him and taking his hands in hers, she took his right one and put it on her belly."It's because I was with the hakime earlier, she confirmed that I was with child."

"A child?" Said Suleiman with a smile."Really? Our child, again?"

"Yes. Finally, our child."

"I would like another daughter with your beauty or a boy with your wits." he whispered at her lips as he leaned for a kiss.

"I would love that too, a girl as soft as your sisters and mother or a boy with your handsome face." Mera sugar-coated her words as they kissed, in fact, she hated his sisters in truth, she barely tolerated his mother and Hatice.

That afternoon, lokmat was delivered for the harem and a party was held in her and her child's honour. Mahidevran had to attend, and Mera had much fun sending subtle smug looks towards her. Once she explained to her kids that this baby is going to be their family, they were all most excited about it.

 Once she explained to her kids that this baby is going to be their family, they were all most excited about it

Another update this week! Yay!!

As always, I hope you enjoyed reading this short chapter, and your feedback is always appreciated! What do you think Mera will have, a boy or a daughter?"