CHAPTER 19

Mera was quite happy when Mahidevran did not show up to the naming ceremony, even after the valide had sent Daye hatun to get her. No doubt the old crone would be upset about how her favourite Kadin was not acting accordingly to how a sultana of her status should.

Mera could not blame her for her feelings, for she was feeling bitter and jealous the same way as she, but she could not help but inwardly scoff at her stupidity. At this point, the Serbian sultan would not need to do anything against her or Mustafa, they're ruining their futures with their own hands. No, the real enemy was the redhaired woman before her, resting on her bed, with a princely boy next to her and the sultan hovering over them with eyes full of love, yet she would still make sure to throw a smirk or a smug look towards them. She was the real enemy, and she was the one Mera would focus on from now on.

Once the valide and Hatice sultan gave Hurrem their gifts, Mera moved forward and presented the new mother with hers, it was a beautiful emerald necklace, that the Jewish sultan had fashioned exactly for the occasion, the jeweller told her it would bring bad luck to whoever wore it, and so she hoped it did do so.

Once Mehemet was officially named, the royal family all dispersed, leaving the sultan with Hurrem hatun. Mera however, was not quite done with them and had gone to her chambers to get her kids to see their newest brother. She smiled at Fulane hatun when she saw them all ready and just playing around.

Once they saw her, they quickly rushed and hugged her feet, and started asking questions. "Mother! Where were you?" "Mother, is it true?"

"Is what true, my loves?" Medra asked them with her first genuine smile on her face that day.

"That we have a new brother," replied Osman. Murad then spoke. "Osman said that we'll have a new playmate, but I don't want to play with anyone else!." he scowled and stomped on his foot.

Mera chuckled heartily and replied."Yes, it's true." she then mentioned for Fulane and the other maids to leave them, once they were alone, she spoke again. "But he's not your true bother, because I am not his mother."

"So he's like Mustafa?" asked Mihrisah.

"Exactly, he's not our family, but he's your papa's family." She explained in soft terms for her young children to understand.

"That means he won't play with us right?" asked Murad.

"No, he's still a baby and will remain so for months, he won't be playing with anyone anytime soon," she replied with a chuckle. "And even when he grows, he won't be your friend, because he is you two's rival, just like Mustafa is."

"Then why are we going to visit him and wish him long life?" asked Mihrisah incredulously.

"Because it's parts of the harem rules that we are supposed to follow. And if we don't then Suleiman, your father will treat us just like he treats Mustafa's mother, would you like that?" She asked, her three children all shaking their heads 'no' furiously. then Mera continued. "Besides, Little Mehmet is still a newborn and your father, the valide and Aunt Hatice are all still excited about his birth, if we don't show the same reaction, they will think we're jealous."

Osman asked again, with a shy voice."Does that mean Father won't love us as much as he did before Mehmet was born?"

Mera's eyes welled up at the new question, and once she saw her children's reaction, it seemed that Osman was just the only brave one of them to ask it, they had all thought about whether they'd lose favour with their royal sire or not. Mera felt the bile of vomit rising in her throat, no child should have such worries on their minds; especially not ones this young. She could not speak for Suleiman, and she did not want to lie to her children, if she expects loyalty and trust from them, then she owed them the truth, but it'd hurt no one if she sugar-coated it now, after all, they were still young, and would not understand the reality of things and how to sever what they were discussing was.

"My sweet children, I'm sure your father will always love you...very much, now he just..has another boy to share his heart with you three. But no matter what happens, or how, I will always be your mother and the person who loves you most." She assured them with a smile that could not quite reach her eyes. "I will never change you for anyone else and you will always be my priority. Alright?"

When she saw her children smile and relax, she sighed heavily in relief and spoke again. "Now, let's go congratulate the Hunkarim and Hurrem hatun."

On the way, she explained to the children how they should talk normally to their father, act joyful with the birth and smile at the new Kadin. Suleiman was most happy with the surprise visit and he hugged and tickled all three of his children before introducing them to Mehmet, as instructed the kids wished him good health and fortune, and the adults in the room all chorused with an 'Amen' though Mera's was not a genuine one. The Jewish sultan could see Hurrem barely hiding her angry scowl at the interruption of her happy and precious time with the sultan.

Mera visited the sultan every night for the following two weeks, Hurrem hatun was still on bed rest, as she was still bleeding from the birth. And the chief favourite made sure to use that to her advantage, when she heard that the red-haired hatun had threatened her friend Gulnihal, to either find the concubine who went to halvet the night of her labour or get exiled or worse, killed.

Mera applauded her internally, she was finally showing her real colours, and she was also making her place and marking her territory. The sultan smiled menacingly at the thought and barged into the redhead's chamber.

The two women stood looking at each other tensely, before Mera broke the silence, her eyes however, still staring fiercely at the new Kadin. "Gulnihal, leave us."

"No, stay," said Hurrem.

"I said, leave us." Replied Mera again.

Gulnihal stood confused for a moment before she obeyed the higher woman's orders and left the room. Hurrem's scowl deepened. Mera chuckled and took a step closer to the redhead and another, and another one, till they were face to face, then she started walking around her as if she was hunting her prey down. After a few moments of silence, Mera finally spoke. "I heard about your newest tantrum with Gulnihal. I thought...Hmm..The idiot had finally realised it. But then I heard about how you're still looking for her." She took another step before continuing."It seems, dear Hurrem, you've been betrayed by the people closest to you." She giggled, but her laugh held no joy in it.

Hurrem's eyes snapped towards her."Mari-Gulnihal did not-She would not do such a thing to me!"

Her sad expression almost made Mera pity her, almost." Oj but she did!" she chuckled before quietening down."You can thank concierge Ibrahim for that."

When Mera saw her enraged expression at both her friend and Ibrahim, she knew her plan worked, Ibrahim really should not have made an enemy out of her, here he regrets it now, and will pay for it with fire and blood.

 Finally a new update! I hope you enjoyed reading this chapter! Your comments are all appreciated and I would love to read your feedback and thoughts about this chapter and where things are going!!

Hope you have a nice day/night!