CHAPTER 18

After Mera left Suleiman's chambers that day, she sent for Sumbul and ordered him to suggest to the concierge Ibrahim to send Maria, otherwise now named as Gulnihal, to Hlavet with his majesty tonight, and that is what was done.

Otherwise, the sultan had surprisingly no plots or plans for that day, so she read stories to her kids and played with them in the garden till the Valide called for them. There were new silks that the sultan wanted her family to choose from.

Mahidevran was also there, and she had managed to frustrate Mera to no end with all the comments she threw her way, nonetheless, Mera kept her composure and her calm in front of the Valide, because she knew she'd get attacked if she did talk back so publically, the last thing she needed was for her behaviour to reach Suleiman's ears, for he hated it, and his relationship with Mahidevran is proof enough for that.

Mera sighed internally, she had a bad feeling, and she hated when she got those, it meant that something bad would happen, and she just prayed it didn't putr her or her kids at any disadvantage.

Murad smiled and took a brown silky thobe and went to his mother. "Mother, can Osman and I get matching garments with this?"

Osman looked up from his history book at the mention of his name and nodded at his mother. Mera smiled at them and nodded. "Of course, my beautiful prince, you'll look very handsome in that colour."

Mihrisah who had been busy picking every garment that had the colour pink on it, spoke up. "Dada has a grown thobe topo, he wears it for the mosque friday, if you take it, you can match!" She squealed before turning to look at her aunt Hatice and the Valide who were sat beside her. "Wouldn't that be amazing?"

"Yes, indeed it will." agreed Hatice and the Valide, Mera did not fail to notice the scowl the other concubine gave her.

Mera took the thobe from Murad's hands and handed it to Daye hatun aith a smile, she then turned to look at her daughter and reprimanded softly. "Mihrisah, sweets, that's enough pink dresses don't you think?" she chuckled.

The other women in the room chuckled as well, and the little sultana pouted "But i like pink! I look like a princess with it!"

"You are a sultana Mihrisah, the colour of your dress will not change that," replied Mera sternly.

Her daughter merelu nodded and continued looking at the piece of garments, she then picked a dark green one and stood up, catching the attention of all the presents in the room, Mihrisah paid them no mind, she stopped at her grandmother's feet and gave her the garment. "Look Valide, you'll look so pretty with a dress like this and that pretty green emerald crown, when you wear it, I can wear the green dress mama got me for Eid and you and i will be matching." She whispered the last part, but everyone at earshot managed to hear her.

The valide's eyes shone with genuine affection, she kissed her granddaughter' in the cheeks thrice before hugging her and pulling her to her lap. Mera's eyes lingered on them and she inwardly smirked.

Yet the happy moment ended soon, for the Hunkarim barged in, looking furious. Everone but the valide stood up and bowed to him, the children, none the wiser to their father's foul mood, run up to hom and hugged his feet, he kisseed their foreheads briefly and looked piercingly at the valide. Mera quickly saved the day by addressing her kids. "Children, let us go back, Baba is busy and so is the Valide, alright?"

The children nodded and bowed towards the sultan and his mother, Mera followed suit, but not before giving a questioning yhet affectionate look towards her lover.

He nodded at her and signalled for her that he'd tell her later, and turned to glare at Mahidevran and Gulfem who had yet to leave the room.

"Leave us." ordered the Valide sternly.

That night, Mera ate supper with her family after listening to the last council meeting of the day, she put her children to sleep and sat in her living room, reading a book. When noises started sounding in the hallways along with rapid steps, she sent Emine to check, apparently Hurrem Hatun had gone into labour.

Mera finally understood why she was feeling anxious the whole day, she prayed that she doesn't birth a son, but she knew the outcome anyway, this was all God's plan, for why would he be poisoned twice along with his mother and still survive? She just hoped that the reason he survived is not to bring her doom.

And thus, the first seed of paranoia towards HGurrem's brood was planted. It would continue to grow till it consumed her every thought. Yet Mera was sure either way, she'd hurt any man who would hurt her children, even if it is Suleiman himself, a toddler would be no issue.

Mera was tempted to change her mind when she saw how happy Suleiman was with his newest son, but she could still remember his joy when she was the one giving him children, and he seemed happier with Mihrisah's birth than he did with his newest boy, Mehmet, he named him.

No, he won't be any real challenge now, unlike Mustafa, who is older and would be sent to a sanjak earlier, and learn to govern and prove himself before her children got the chance to do the same.

Nonetheless, his birth did not change her plans, it just made her even more determined to win this ugly game, after all, the more players, the more bloody and fun it becomes.

*****************************************

Short chapter I know! But if everything goes well and i pass my exams, I'd be free for the summer to post more daily!

Your feedback is always appreciated, i love your comments! Especially the long ones!