fear resides in us all

Start from the beginning

"Then remind me to never ask for notes from you."

Astrid rolled her eyes, continuing to rewrite to her list, "Hermione, the world will stop before you ask anybody for notes."

"Not true! I've asked people like- like Cedric Diggory for notes!"

Astrid looked at her, unimpressed. "You asked Ced for the password to the prefects library. Thats one singular word."

"Well-" Hermione couldn't think of a way to defend herself. "I asked for notes when I was petrified last year!"

"Yeah, and then you told Dean off for not using the oxford comma and instead you wrote your own notes," Astrid grinned at her victory, shaking her head at the displeased expression on Hermione. They were academic rivals, so Astrid was selfishly pleased when Hermione had missed out in all those classes. As unfair as it was, Astrid had gotten top of her class last year, an award Astrid used to somewhat calm her soon-to-be furious Aunt that summer.

Astrid's guilt from divinations was settling in her, she sighed. "Y'know I'm not mad at you from earlier," Astrid began after a moment of silence, her voice quiet, "I guess it was a bad year. But I didn't mean to be so rude."

Hermiones eyes softened, "It's alright, Astrid," she said, her soft tone matching up with Astrid's. "I'm sorry about us too-"

"You've already apologized."

"No, no, I-" she took a deep breath, remorse clear in her eyes, "I apologized because I didn't want to feel, well, bad. But, now I want to really apologize because people did terrible stuff to you and I never stopped them."

"They're your friends," Astrid looked away from Hermione, scared her eyes might threaten her. "I would do the same."

"You were my friend" Hermione lowered her head.

"Hermione it's alright," Astrid promised. "really. And I am your friend."

Hermione grinned happily, her cheeks tinting pink. If she wasn't in the middle of class she would've hugged Astrid, but for now she settled with a wide smile. "Wasn't sure," she shrugged.

The rest of transfigurations passed by quickly now that Astrid had someone to talk too. She and Hermione had joined together to make much more possible ideas of where Dean and Seamus had gone off too. During the final moments of the class, Astrid was pleased to hear McGonagall say that Trelawney lied about a death every year, and she was sure Atlas and Cedric will be pleased too.

· 𖥸 ·

ASTRID WALKED TO HER next class alone, she likes being alone. Solitude was comforting as she knew the feeling all too well. She didn't miss the frightful glances given to her by first years or the long full one she received by people she used to consider acquaintances. She kept reading her book, her posture straight, pretending she didn't see everything around her. Astrid was great at multi-tasking. She was reading a muggle tale given to her by Andromeda on her twelfth birthday, Of Mice and Men. Astrid loved to read, many noticed she was almost always seen with a book, though no one knew what she read as all her books had blank covers. Something, it seems, the family has done for centuries. You probably could guess why.