Chapter Two: Rumors

As far back as Yui could remember, she always enjoyed the balls thrown at their castle. When she was a little girl and couldn't attend, she would watch from the upper staircase, her eyes glued on the pretty gowns worn by passing people. Since the age of ten, she had made an appearance at every single ball. This time, the girl was thankful that she was not publicly announced. She did not want their judgemental eyes to lock on her, talking amongst others with low voices. 

The crowds had adored Yui for her generosity and innocent beauty. However, their opinion was swayed at the announcement of her willingness to marry one of the sons of the Vampire King. Unaware of the burgeoning conflict between the human and supernatural world, the public was convinced that she was a traitor to her fellow people. 

Behind her mask, Yui's scarlet eyes moved through the crowds, searching for her closest friend. However, the beaming face of the girl was nowhere to be found. A soft sigh left Yui as she moved to the edge of the crowd, Keito trailing behind her at a safe distance. 

"If I may, shouldn't you be trying to meet any eligible bachelors?" Keito murmured, leaning close to Yui's ear. 

"Erm, I probably should. I would just like to inspect the crowds closer," Yui replied as she felt her doubt increasing by the second. "I would have never guessed that Father's balls would be so tense..." 

"What do you expect, princess? The masses absolutely despite vampires, and there might be thousands creeping around. Humans fear things that they don't understand." 

"Do you hate vampires?" 

"Very much so. However, my job does not allow for such trivial fears. I must protect you, no matter what. A crowd of pesky vampires are not going to hinder my efforts." 

"I see why Father trusts you so much," Yui commented as her lips spread into a grateful smile. "Thank you for staying by my side, Keito. I truly do appreciate it." 

With that, the blond focused her attention on the crowds of people. They seemed to cling to their friends, throwing uncertain glances at newer people. Eager faces of children peeped out from behind their parents, their fascination with vampires obvious. Any newcomers, doe-eyed and awkward, were left on their lonesome. None of the people could let a vampire into their inner circle. 

"If they feared the vampires, why would they come...?" Yui murmured to herself as she shook her head in shock. "Why didn't they stay indoors, their doors locked and shutters closed?" 

"Humans have a certain fascination with dark things. Even if they feel like they should leave, they are always curious as to what might happen next," a man replied, causing Yui to yelp and jump. 

Clutching at her pounding heart, the girl whipped around to face a much taller man with long white hair that fell down his back. She let out a soft giggle, trying her best to slow her frantic breathing. 

"Oh, I'm sorry for making such a ruckus. I-I didn't hear you whatsoever!" Yui apologized as her lips spread into a wavering smile. 

"It's quite alright. I'm sure that humans are not used to my ability to teleport places," he replied, his golden eyes slitting in amusement. "Ah, the blood is draining from your face..." 

"A-are you a vampire?" 

"I don't think humans can teleport," the man answered, a smirk making its way onto his face. His eyes glanced over at Keito, who tensed up and placed a hand over his dagger. "Your bodyguard seems to have faith in his dagger. Does he know that it is not made of a material that can actually harm me?" 

"I really don't want us to cause a scene. Everyone deserves to have a wonderful time without the occurrence of vampire attacks. We allowed you all into our castle since you agreed not to harm anyone," Yui tried, throwing a quick glance at Keito. The man quickly relaxed, and his hand slipped away from the weapon. 

"Of course, I would not want to disrupt the ball. You should be mingling with the crowds and trying to find my sons." 

"I did not expect to meet the Vampire King... Not this early, anyway." Yui's lips quivered in nervousness as she felt herself being studied. 

"I can tell from your reaction," he responded as his lips spread into a smile, his fangs glinting in the candlelight. "I should not bother you any further. It would be best if you were mingling with the crowds. You only have this night to make your choice as to which of my sons is your Favorite. I would think it unwise to stand here and dawdle." 

"Could you give me any clues as to which of the guests are your sons? Surely, you could tell me the color of their outfits," Yui murmured as she looked back over the crowds, her lips turning down in concerntration. Looking over her shoulders, Yui found that the Vampire King had slipped away from her. A dejected sigh left her as she picked up her skirts and moved to walk down the stairs. 

"Princess, are you sure that you want to rush yourself?" Keito worriedly asked, hurrying after her retreating form. 

"You should not worry yourself, Keito. I'm going to be okay," Yui answered as she turned to flash him a bright smile. However, that smile could only last long before her expression shifted into one of dread. "I can only hold off my fate for so long..." She turned to face the tense crowds, squaring her shoulders and moving into the chaos.