Missed you - Itto x Gorou

Headcannon AU thingy where Gorou is fighting in a war and Itto visits for some comforting fluff.

The sun was hanging low in the sky as Gorou dipped his head into his tent at his army's base camp. Every ounce of muscle on his body ached and he had gauzy bandaging wrapped over wounds in various places from the battle he'd fought in that day. With a sigh he eased himself onto the foot of his bed.

"How am I supposed to fight like this tomorrow...?" He thought wearily about the battle that was still raging several miles away. The little war general flicked his tail in anxiety.

Suddenly, a voice rang out from the entrance of his tent where a guard always stood on duty.

"Visitor here to see you sir!"

Gorou's ear twitched in confusion. "Who is it, and what is their purpose?"

"He won't state his name, sir he... He just said you'd know who it was!" The guard replied.

Then a second voice rang out. "Aww come on, it took me all evening to get this far!!!"

Gorou flinched as he recognized the voice. It was Arataki Itto, and he was not supposed to be here.

"...Enter!" he called, standing up from his seat on the bed.

Itto stepped through the flap on the tent with a grin on his face. His smile quickly faded though as he stared at the gauze wraps on Gorou's body.

"Woah, they really got you, didn't they-"

"And you're not supposed to be here!" Gorou cut him off. "I told you not to come near here, to not get involved!"

Itto stepped closer to Gorou and pouted. "I just wanted to see you, that's all! Honest to the gods, I just wanted a visit! Is that so hard to ask?"

Gorou's ears flicked back. He couldn't stay mad at Itto for that. "No, its not. I'm sorry... guess the war's been a bit-"

It was Gorou's turn to get cut off as Itto leaned down and kissed him deeply on the lips. All of Gorou's stress melted and was replaced by butterflies. He relaxed as Itto held his face in his hands and continued to lean into each kiss. After a few heartbeats, Gorou caved in and kissed back a few times before Itto separated his face from Gorou's.

"I missed you." Itto whispered as he wrapped Gorou in a hug.

Gorou made no reply as he buried his flushed face into the crook of Itto's shoulder, where he stayed for a few minutes.

Itto let go of Gorou finally and stared at the wraps. "Someone really ripped you a new one, huh?"

Gorou could tell it ticked Itto off. He hated not being able to protect Gorou. However, Itto knew that Gorou didn't want him involved in the war. He didn't want to risk Itto dying or worse, so he'd told Itto to keep his distance.

"I'll be fine," Gorou said. He reached for a wrap around his leg that had started to slip and tried to fix it. After a few seconds of struggling, Itto began to laugh.

"Here," he chuckled, "Let me help."

Itto scooped Gorou up and laid him on the bed. Itto sat down with him and took Gorou's injured leg in his lap. He tried to gently but slowly undo the wrap enough so that he could tighten it.

"You have no idea what you're doing, do you?" Gorou asked with a smile.

"...No." Itto sounded sheepish but he was grinning at the same time in a playful manner.

Gorou lied on the bed patiently while Itto figured out the wrap. The Oni was trying to be gentle about it but slipped up a few times, which made Gorou wince. In the end, Itto got it straightened out and it seemed like it would hold up.

"There," he said with one final pat that made Gorou wince again. "Does it hurt?"

"A little. I've had worse though," Gorou reassured him as he glanced at a few battle scars that marked his body.

A smirk spread across Itto's face and his hand slid up Gorou's leg. "Would a kiss make it better?"

"...You can certainly try," Gorou blushed and looked away.

Itto slid his hands gently around Gorou's injured leg and lifted it up, kissing it gently on the wrap a few times. Then he put it back softly. Gorou didn't know Itto had the capacity to be this gentle, and it was making him flustered.

Itto then moved up higher, practically crawling on the bed next to Gorou now, kissing another wrap around his ribcage. Gorou's tail shivered as Itto's kisses tickled his side. He tensed up and winced as he did so, making his ears flatten against his head.

"Sorry!" Itto whispered.

Gorou calmed himself with a few deep breaths. "It's ok..."

Itto glanced at the door of the tent and noticed how dark it was getting. He looked back at Gorou, who seemed to read his mind.

"Don't go," he mumbled, "I want you to stay."

"Alright." Itto smiled. He didn't need to hear another word.

It seemed that Itto would be spending the night. Itto maneuvered himself next to Gorou, who rolled over onto his side so that they could lay together little spoon big spoon style.

"What will I tell the guards...?" Gorou thought aloud, his nervous swishing tail tickling Itto.

"Just tell them we had some er- ... Important war tactics to discuss!"

Gorou couldn't hold back a laugh. "'Important war tactics?' Yeah right!"

Itto kissed Gorou on the shoulder. "Then you think of something better! I'm going to sleep."

"Alright. Thanks, Itto."

The two cuddled until they drifted off to sleep. It was the best rest that Gorou had gotten in months since the battle had broken out.