After making just about more pancakes than we can eat, we set the table up. It was like a scene out of a movie. The normalcy and the domestic of it all. We talked amongst ourselves about the plan for today. The excitement running behind our sparkling eyes were unlike anything I've seen. Maya has no idea about the surprise party we have planned for her, and Y/N is completely oblivious to the fact that I'm proposing to her after the party. There is a handful of things that has to get done, but underneath all of it, I'm ecstatic. And no amount of stress will it ever ruin today.

Maya's a smart girl. It was a challenge getting her to believe that there will be no sort of grand party. Luckily, Y/N's very convincing when it comes to doing fun activities outside the house, so she filled her in on what the day has in stored for her. While she's currently upstairs getting ready for her playdate with Rose in half an hour, I joined Y/N in the kitchen where she finished cleaning up the counter.

"I'll have to stay behind to help your sister set up for the party, so it'll just be you and her at the park, alongside Ollie."

"Wouldn't she be suspicious of you not coming?"

"I already have an excuse for it." She winked as she wrapped her arms around my waist so smoothly. "You just have to bring your amazing acting skills and play along."
I sighed longingly, "Alright. Just make sure you let me know ahead of time when you guys are done." Y/N nodded and we kissed in between our sweet, admirable shared laughter. She carried me a few feet from the ground spinning me around. And when she gave me that look, the type of look that always makes my heart stop, my speech for tonight began to flood in my head.

"Uh-oh, I know that look." She notices the sudden change in my demeanor. "Is everything okay, my love?"

I smiled from ear to ear, "Of course. Everything's fine. Great even. I'm just... so in love with you. It's insane."

Y/N blushes, "You sure do know how to make a girl smile." She pauses for a beat. "I can't wait for tonight."

"Me too."

———

We continued on with our plan. After Maya got ready, Y/N told her that she won't be able to join us at the park because of an emergency at work. The little one seemed to have bought the excuse, so I didn't need to chime in. Maybe Y/N should rethink about being a sound technician because she sure does a promising future for acting with how well she came up with that excuse.

"Alright, have fun at the park." Y/N walks us out. "Make sure Ollie runs a lot for today and teach him some cool tricks, little bear."

"Okay, I'll try."

She diverts her attention to me, "My love, take care of the birthday girl for me. I'll see you guys later."

We mouth the words; I love you before we bid our goodbyes. I pulled away from the driveway, and slowly but surely I began to make my way to the road. I took one last look of Y/N through the rearview mirror as she waved, a bright smile on my face hard to go unnoticed.

It only took fifteen minutes to drive at a nearby park. Scarlett and Rose were already waiting for us, so it didn't take long until the kids played with Ollie. Meanwhile, Scarlett and I sat on the bench where we have a good view of them from afar as they chased the dog around. I take it all in. My surrounding. The laughter of kids with their parents. And it didn't take long until I start to imagine how one day, we will be just like them. With our big, happy family.