Space Song

"Somewhere in these eyes, I'm on your side."

- Beach House (Space Song, 2015)

________

Y/N's POV

I was hoping to wake up before Lizzie, and fortunately for me, I did. I had one thing in mind ever since last night and that was to stop by Ether's Bagel shop. She might not have any recollection of the place and the food she loved so much, but maybe, just like the Thai food we had yesterday, she could possibly have another nostalgic moment. I'm putting a lot of hope in something as simple as bagels, but, just like these last fifteen months, it's all I could do.

As soon as I entered the shop, I was immediately met by freshly made bagels that instantly brought memories of countless times Lizzie and I have visited. It brought a smile to my face as it sparked a fluttery feeling inside of my chest. It's no surprise that it nearly brought me to tears.

"Y/N!" Oscar greeted me with a smile. "What can I get you for today? The usual?"

I returned the favor, "Of course. I would have the usual with Lizzie's order as well."

"Oh, great. I will have that ready for you in no time." He said excitedly. "How is she doing?"

My mood shifted almost immediately, "She's great. She's rarely i. pain and has been more active ever since she woke up."

"That's good to hear." Oscar sensed the sudden change in my demeanor. "What about you? Are you okay?"

I put up a fake smile, "Of course! Why wouldn't I be?"

"It's never easy to look at someone you love and they don't recognize you." He spoke sympathetically. "I can see how hard you're trying. That has to account for something and it will. I know it's hard to see that underneath the circumstances, but I firmly believe that you'll make her fall in love with you all over again."

"I hope so." I lowered my gaze to my feet.

It wasn't that I didn't trust myself enough to believe it. I know I'm more than capable of bringing those feelings back. But, I can't help but let the negative thoughts in the back of my head win. I'm scared that my heart will go through another type of pain that could change my life forever. This isn't a breakup or a wrong choice. The situation I found myself in could either be the cause of my own demise or it could make me stronger. Either way, pain is inevitable. It demands to be felt.

It took less than fifteen minutes for Oscar to give me my order. He insisted I don't pay, but I was able to win that conversation and convinced him to let me pay because I've been eating his food for free lately.

"Y/N." He called out to me. I gave him a look and waited for his response, "Trust the process."

I flashed him a thankful smile before I left the building. The drive was dramatically short. I rushed inside the boring, plain white hallway that leads to her room. I stopped to catch my breath before I quietly entered her room where I found her sitting upright. Her gaze immediately latched on to me while she had an unreadable expression written on her face. It's almost like she's disappointed.

"Good morn—" I greeted excitedly but she cut me off.

"You left without saying anything." Lizzie pouted like a little kid. "You could've left a note..."